Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Pox!!!!

Default Re: Chicken Pox!!!!

I was recently exposed to the chicken pox and potentially my dd. I talked to my ped. and she said it is unlikely for a baby that young (2mo.) at the time to catch the chicken pox. Most baby's are immune to catching the chicken pox until 6mo. She said if she did catch it she would most likely only have 1 or two pox marks and that is it. The baby would not have a full break out which means she could potentially catch it again later on in life.

As someone already mentioned you can't vaccinate babies for the chicken pox but they could have recommended it for your toddler.

My dd did not catch the chicken pox just like the ped. said
    You should still keep the 3 year old away from the baby as much as possible and wash your hands everytime you touch your son and go to touch the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083400.asp

heres doctor sears web site about chicken pox
    This is a good website my ped. said almost the same thing as doctor sears

I think it's preferable to get chicken pox as a child than to get the vaccine. Chicken pox is actually more mild the younger you are, with fewer lesions. And once you have had it you have lifelong immunity. The vaccine does not offer lifetime immunity and those who get chicken pox as an adult can suffer much greater consequences including pneumonia, lung inflammation, liver and heart problems, arthritis and corneal lesions. Children on the other hand have fever, and itchy rash/blisters which clear in 2 to 3 weeks. I actually hope my son catches the disease because I want him to have the lifetime immunity and not worry about catching it as an adult. I got my info. from What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations by Dr. Stephanie Cave in case you're interested. Great book.

I had a mild case of chicken pox when I was really young (not sure of the exact age) and then I got it again when I must have been 9 or 10 so it's not always a lifelong immunity if you get it early! My father also had it twice, the second time was with my second time. He was much sicker; I have vivid memories of it.

Though relatively rare, varicella pneumonia is a real risk/complication of having the chicken pox "the old fashioned way". I'm not for just willy-nilly giving my kids every vaccination under the sun, and really questioned having the vaccine administered to my child. After all, I had the chicken pox, and it wasn't THAT big of a deal. However, complications, even in small children, are real and can be serious. Just something to be weighed when deciding about vaccinations. In Michigan, our schools require it as part of the many other immunizations that your child must have in order to enter school (that is, unless it's a religious reason, or unless you have demonstrated a history of the disease itself).

As for you, EssexNat, your youngest has likely already been exposed, but it doesn't hurt to try to keep your older kids away from the baby anyway.

Keep us posted!

Lisa

I believe the earliest age for the chicken pox vaccine is after year 1 - see http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T080900.asp for some evidence-based information. Not everything on the Internet is based on research.

And the varicella virus is also the cause of shingles - even if you've ever had chicken pox it can still reactivate into this when you're an adult, and believe me, I'd rather have the vaccine.

GENTLE REMINDER: Debates about vaccines are not appropriate on this thread or on this forum. If you wish to discuss, please take it to the off-topic forum.

Hi there OP
    As the PPs have said CP is highly contagious. I believe though, that the time just before the rash appears is the most contagious time, unfortunately. I'd suggest you call the doctor immediately. CP in such a young baby can be very dangerous.

As for alcohol, here's a (non-LLL) link with some good info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Yeah, the most contagious time is BEFORE you know your child is sick. After the pox break, there is still risk of contracting the virus, but not as high as before the pox break.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the breastmilk pass on antibodies, etc? So, if the mom is immune (naturally...not sure about vaccine-wise), then being exposed to the pox would kick her immune system into gear (since she's got the virus, she just won't get sick) and her body would be getting rid of the virus. This would make the antibodies go into high gear and would be passed onto the baby. I could be wrong, but I am almost positive the my doc or midwife mentioned this.

I have a toddler who has not been vaccinated. But, when they tested for immunity (she was exposed a couple times with no break-outs, etc) they found that she's already immune to it...which means that either she got it from me (I was breastfeeding her still when she was exposed OR I was exposed while preggers) or she had such a mild case of it that it didn't trigger anything but the immune system.

I would still call the doctor though...just because your baby was an NICU baby. Please update us on what the doc says.

Smile Re: Chicken Pox!!!!

Hiya All,

Thanks for all of your replies!

So far so good!! Tyler seems to be ok - no sign of being ill or spots. My 3 year olds spot are scabbing over now and 1 year old seems ok too.

I spoke to a few professionals re breast feeding and they all said that my milk should pass on antibodies, whether or not its true, I am just glad he hasn't got it!

Thanks again!

Nat

cool I guess he'll have to get it later....
    my oldest had it at 4 before his sibblings were even thought of..
    then the last 3 had it with in a month of each other
    2nd grade,3 and 1 1/2 lol...