Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Pox!!!!

Default Chicken Pox!!!!

Hi,

I was just wondering if by breast feeding Tyler will be immune to Chicken Pox? I have just found a small blister spot on my 3 year old and I am pretty sure it is the Pox, now I am worried that Tyler may catch it.

Any ideas?!

Nat.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

PS Can u drink whislt breast feeding?!

Default Re: Chicken Pox!!!!

my dd had it when she was only 1 and she had the most mild case of all my kids.. how old is the baby?
    Ive read some things that say that under one is unlikely and then others that said that in a house sibblings have a 90% chance of catching it from each other.
    Not much you can do after the fact I don't think.
    good luck!

Hi thanks for quick reply!!

Tyler is 18 days old have BF since day one although his 1st and 2nd feeds were Formula as he wouldn't latch on and was in NICU for few hours.
    Nat

oh my maybe you should call your doctors nurse....
    I bet she'll say keep them apart.
    have you had it?

I am not sure if I have had it, but when my 5 year old was 2 and I was pregnant he had it and I had to have a blood test to see if I was immune, which I was/am. Its new years eve here - no where is open to phone!!! Typical!

I also have 1 year old - who wasn't BF but he has been ratty for 2 weeks - I am hoping he doesn't catch it!!!

Thanks for ur help.

I will try to phone NHS Direct now!!
    Nat

they might tell you the baby needs the shot, I would think long and hard about that one. .....

Chicken pox are highly contagious! Breast mild is not an antibody for this disease and you need to keep them apart! The younger and the older you are when you get them the more chance of complications from them. Watch your lo to make sure there is no fever. Did you know there is a vaccination for chicken pox? Your pediatrician should have recommended it (for the 3 year old) if they knew you were bringing home a new baby, esp. a baby that was in NICU. Now, just keep them apart as best you can and disinfect everything! Good luck!

PS...baby is too little for the vaccination. I used to be a medical assistant.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083400.asp

heres doctor sears web site about chicken pox

Also, I was told by my pediatrician that I can drink lightly because your body will burn the alcohol before it is processed into you milk. I have a glass of wine or two every once and awhile. It doesn't hurt dd.