Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 weeks old and sleeping

Default 5 weeks old and sleeping

My DS is 5 weeks old and for the past few nights he has been sleeping 5+ hours at night. Since we are nursing, I do cosleep with him. Do you think that it is possible that he is too comfy sleeping with me and sleeps through feeding or he may just not need to nurse as much at night? My 2 other bos didn't do this but my DD slept through the night at 3 months. I am just worried he should be nursing and I should wake him.

Thanks... btw... he seems to be gaining ok, diapers are good, but he is definetely hungry when he does wake up!!

Default Re: 5 weeks old and sleeping

As long as he's gaining weight (a good indication of this is wet diaper and poopy diaper output) then there's no reason to wake him Enjoy your sleep! You never know how long this will last, lol.

I couldn't agree with the previous post more... enjoy it while it lasts!!! Around 2.5 months my daughter began sleeping for 5 hours at a time and I would wake up feeling "full" so I'd wake her up to nurse her... and I too worried that she wasn't eating enough although she still was gaining weight at a healthy rate and having plenty wet diapers. Now at 4 months, she wakes up two, sometimes three times every night. She is much more comfy in our bed though. She goes to sleep in her bed at 8 pm, wakes around 11 to nurse, goes back to sleep in her bed, wakes again around 2 to nurse, and then goes back to sleep in our bed... from there, she would probably sleep until noon if we'd let her, but we usually wake her around 6:45 or 7:00 am.

I also have a similar issue. My DD is 7 weeks old and sleeps for 5-6 hours at night, wakes to feed and then sleeps for 3-4 hours more. I give her a bottle of EBM at her night feeding because bf'ing wakes her up too much and she will not go back to sleep. She has done this for about 2 weeks now.
    My problem is that she also sleeps a lot during the day (especially when we have a day out of the house). When we're at home, she falls asleep soon after she bf's and sleeps on and off for about 20-30 minutes at a time until it's time to bf again (about 3-4 hours). She usually has one extended span of being awake in the early evening. Even with all the sleeping during the day, she still sleeps at night. Is it possible that I just have a sleepyhead? Or should I be worried? She has also had a lot of nasal congestion and a bad cough for a few days (DH has been very sick with a cold for 5 days now) but no fever. I'm just really confused about all this new mommy stuff. Any suggestions, answers would be greatly appreciated.

Your dd's schedule sounds exactly like my ds's schedule! I talked to my midwife about it and she said that if I had to double my weight in only a few months that I would sleep alot too. However, adding a cold into the mix (my ds has one too!) also makes for a sleepy baby. Have you tried squirting breastmilk into her nose? Just express a little into a dish and suck it up with a medicine dropper then do a quick squeeze into each nostril. I know it sounds nuts, but bm heals many things...acne, pink eye, stuffy noses, etc.

Okay, since I last posted, my DD's cold got worse. We went to the Dr. on Monday and they did an RSV test...it turned out positive. In addition, her oxygen saturation in her blood was only 84%. So, we are now in the hospital until at least Friday. I'm beside myself with worry and starting to get sick myself from being in the room with her all the time. Now, since she's sick, she sleeps all the time (except when the nurses are messing with her). She's getting really fussy now everytime someone other than me touches her. I feel so sorry for her and wish I could just take away all her pain. But, the Dr says she's getting better, so I guess this too, will pass. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.