Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: building milk supply

Default building milk supply

Can anyone reccomend any kind of way to build my milk supply? I'm taking fenugreek (610 Mg 6 times a day) and I'm going to look for Mother's Milk Tea tomorrow. Is there anything else I can do? right now I'm exclusively pumping because he refuses to latch on, he just screams the whole time. I'm only getting drops of colostrum right now, but I just wanted to know if there was any other way to help!

Default Re: building milk supply

I used the following: fenugreek, then swapped that with More Milk Plus (a tincture available in health food stores or online), and added steel cut oatmeal for breakfast and lots of water. Some people swear by Guinness beer. I hear that rest is supposed to help a lot, too....

Can you tell us how old your baby is and the circumstances surrounding the low milk supply? That can often help us to help you more than simply suggesting a galactogogue. If the fenugreek isn't working, you may want to try taking 3 capsules/3x day. However, we don't know if the fenugreek really isn't working or not without knowing how old your baby is and how often/frequently you are pumping

My baby is 3 months old, but I haven't pumped or anything since he was 3 weeks old. I started relactating a few days ago and am trying to pump to rebuild. He won't latch on so that's not an option. I'm taking 6 capsules of fenugreek a day, they're 610 Mg capsules. I'm pumping every 6 times a day, 10 minutes on each breast. But after reading some information, I'm going to start pumping every 2-3 hours and waking up earlier (around 6 am, he normally sleeps until 7) to pumpin the morning too.

Jess,
    It sounds like things are actually progressing, which is good. I don't know how long you've been pumping for but relactation is a slow process and as I mentioned, the typical recommendation on the fenugreek is 3 capsules/3 times a day. If your baby hasn't nursed (or you haven't pumped) for 3 months, you can figure that it will take you 3 months to get to your supply back to where it was 3 months ago. Of course, this is a rough figure and I've worked with mom's who've relactated faster than that. And since your baby is less than 4 months old, you're a good candidate for relactation

You should try to work closely with an IBCLC or LLL Leader to encourage your baby to latch back on as well as getting some support for yourself through this process

There are many herbal galactogogues (sp) as well as prescription ones. Sometimes taking a combination of things is more beneficial than one herb or one prescription drug alone. The Breastfeeding Answer Book suggests fenugreek be taken as 3 capsules/3x's a day and that it can also be taken with blessed thistle (3 capsules/3x's a day). You may want to pay a visit to your doctor too and see about getting a prescription for domperidone. It's difficult to find in the US but I know many women can get it at compounding pharmacies in the US (I have a pharmacy near me that dispenses it). Reglan is another prescription drug but from what I've read, it isn't as effective as domperidone and it can cause severe depression. This is a great article by La Leche League that has a good run down of herbal resources for relactation.

I wish you the best in this journey -- you can do it!!