Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scabs on nipples; how to heal?

Unhappy Scabs on nipples; how to heal?

I am a new mom and my dd is 6 days old. I realized after a few days of painful nursing that my positioning was not correct, which led to the intensely sore and red nipples. Then I switched up my position and tried to ensure she ws latching on correctly. However, sometimes I still feel some pain with the initial latch on my left breast. I now realize that I have scabs on both my nipples (only at the tops of them though). I have been using lanolin on them after I nurse her, but they are not going away. I think these contribute to her not latching on as well because they are rough feeling. So now I express a little milk first to soften them.

Sorry to babble, my main question is, what can I do to heal these scabs? and How long should it take for them to heal completely?

Thanks

Default Re: Scabs on nipples; how to heal?

I had chunks of nipple coming off and scabs. Not pretty. I think mostly what helps is time, but I also used Lansinoh and Soothies, which I feel helped a lot. You can put Soothies in the fridge if you want to try them cooled, and you can cut them in half to make the box last longer. If I remember correctly, the pain and rawness went away within the first month (and was less after the first 2wks of ebfing and pumping around the clock).

It gets better, and congratulations!

Many mothers have found both Lansinoh and Soothies (from CVS) to be very comfortable for scabbed nipples. Nipple tissue heals very quickly, like lips. Usually within 48 hours it should be much better, even if you do nothing. Soothies should be discontinued after the nipples have healed.

Sometimes it can help the latch to get another pillow under your arm to bring your baby closer to your breast, and to shift her position slightly so that her chin is pushing into the breast, her head is tipped back (like when you are drinking a glass of water) and her nose is free.

See this link for a pic:
    http://www.pumpstation.com/Main.cfm?...echnique%2Ecfm

But keep in mind, how it feels is much more important than how it looks! Sometimes it works best to approach latching from the standpoint of "what is most comfortable for ME?" What is comfortable for mom is usually a good latch for baby.

Leaving your nipples exposed to the air can help too. Or using your own milk, just squirt a bit out after each feeding and wipe it around. That milk is good for more than just nourishment! .

Smile Re: Scabs on nipples; how to heal?

I was right there with you! My DD at birth had to be finger fed because she would move her tongue forward instead of the usual roll back. When she finally grasped how to do it right, she had an extremely strong suction! It was so strong that it ended up ripping off a piece of my nipple. It was extremely painful and I practically cried every time I nursed her.

I tried for weeks with Lansinoh, Soothies and even by pumping that side after each feeding. (which was very tiring at nights) Then after 6 weeks of dealing with the pain and still no improvement, as well as getting Mastitis... I asked my doctor if it was okay to use Neosporin. He said that it was completely fine and safe for the baby as long as I just wiped it off before feeding her. Air does help too, just strut around with the flaps down on your nursing bra whenever you get the chance.

Try using the Soothies along with some Neosporin and the lanolin, it helped me with dramatic results within days compared to the weeks I dealt with the pain.
    Last edited by JayciBugMom73; March 15th, 2006 at 11:35 AM.

Hi there! I had the same problem for a few days; my baby girl is now 8 days old and the scabs have really started to go away. I found it really helped to allow air to get to them as much as possible. Also working on my latch so she was getting a big amount of breast in her mouth. The tissue is still sensitive, but not nearly as bad as it was, and my nipples are finally starting to look normal again. LOL Good luck to you!
    -Amanda