Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new and frustrated

Default new and frustrated

First of all, Hi everyone! I'm new here and was hoping to get some help! My son is 3 months old, I got frustrated and gave up breastfeeding at 3 weeks postpartum and have felt guilty ever since. I got my first period and I started leaking colostrum again, but pretty much ignored it. Around the same time this month, I started leaking colostrum again, and my friend Stephanie told me it was possible that I could try to breastfeed again. My son won't latch no matter what, so I'm pumping. I've only been pumping 2 days now though, and I know that it might take a while, but I'm already getting impatient! I'm pumping 6 times a day, 10 minutes at a time on each side, and I'm taking fenugreek. Can anyone give me some advice as to how long this might take? I'm bound and determined to make it work this time, but I just want an idea of how long it might take to get my milk in. I only have colostrum coming in right now, and it's not a whole lot, but I've noticed that there's more now than there was when I started. and is there anything else I can do to help it? any kind of teas or something? and also my nipples look like they're bruised. they have dark purple spots on them and I can get more out of my right than my left. Is this normal? thanks in advance for any information!

btw, I just copied and pasted my post from the other thread...

Default Re: new and frustrated

What kind of pump are you using?

Default Re: new and frustrated

Bruising might mean that the suction on your pump is too high; it should be at a comfortable level. You can also try lubricating the flanges with olive oil so it is not as chafing. I would expect this to take at least 1-2 weeks before getting ounces of milk. Reglan or domperidone are prescription drugs that can increase milk production. You can learn more about this at http://www.bfar.org.

Doing a lot of skin-to-skin snuggling with your precious baby can also really help. Even if he doesn't latch on, if he is interested in playing with your nipples or licking some expressed milk off of your nipples, this can increase your milk-making hormones.

You are a great mom, no matter how much milk you are producing! Every little bit is packed with immunities and good nutrition. It is so great that he got those 3 weeks of breastfeeding to help him make the transition into the world. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress!!!