Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He's Done

Cool He's Done

Well Gavin is done with baby food I had posted last week or so that he wasn't really wanting to eat, well I've been offering more from my plate, and guess what, he chows down on that but refuses the baby food So I'd like to know if there is a site out there that list what a 9 1/2 mo old can have/can't have!
    So far he's having spaghetti, soups, rice, noodles, mashed veggies...
    Anyhow just wanting to have a good "list" of what he can or can't have Ty!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Default Re: He's Done

I thought they couldn't have any kind of dairy til 1, or is that JUST milk?

from babycenter.com

and also, they are not allowed fish yet right?

and so if he's allowed dairy, just any kind of cheese/yogurt??

Age: 8 to 10 months Signs of readiness for solid and finger foods
    • Same as 6 to 8 months, PLUS
    • Picks up objects with thumb and forefinger (pincer grasp)
    • Can transfer items from one hand to the other
    • Puts everything in his mouth
    • Moves jaw in a chewing motion What to feed
    • Breast milk or formula, PLUS
    • Small amounts of soft pasteurized cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese (but no cows' milk until age 1)
    • Iron-fortified cereals (rice, barley, wheat, oats, mixed cereals)
    • Mashed fruits and vegetables (bananas, peaches, pears, avocados, cooked carrots, squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes)
    Finger foods (lightly toasted bagels, cut up; small pieces of ripe banana; well-cooked spiral pasta; teething crackers; low-sugar O-shaped cereal)
    • Small amounts of protein (egg yolk, pureed meats and poultry; tofu; well-cooked and mashed beans with soft skins like lentils, split peas, pintos, black beans)
    • Non-citrus juice (apple or pear) How much per day
    • ¼ to 1/3 cup dairy (or ½ oz. cheese)
    • ¼ to ½ cup iron-fortified cereal
    • ¼ to ½ cup fruit
    • ¼ to ½ cup vegetables
    • 1/8 to ¼ cup protein foods
    • 3 to 4 oz. non-citrus juices Feeding tip
    • Introduce new foods one at a time, with at least three days in between to make sure your baby's not allergic.
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

I don't have a list...as DS eats anything and everything in sight...no baby food for him. The biggest thing that I watch out for is sodium. Annie (paint-the-moon) posted a link about sodium intake in infants...I'll bump it up.

If I'm making something that we like salt in, we salt it when we serve ourselves...our I'll pull some stuff out for DS to eat before I salt it. We try to eat fresh veggies as much as possible or I will buy frozen ones (be careful that the ingredients say just broccoli and not salt).

Other than that, we pretty much give DS anything and everything we eat. We had some 5 cheese ravioli with marinara for lunch today that I made. I just took out 2 raviolis for him to eat before I put on the marinara.

DS eats almost anything and everything. I dice a raw potato and then steam it. The dicer I have leaves perfect size pieces for DS to pick up and eat. Sometimes I'll help him get some of the slippery pieces in his mouth. I do the same with sweet potatos too.

Good luck and I hope gavin enjoys...I don't blame him for not wanting that nasty baby food anyways...especially when his mommy is a much better cook
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

shiloh has been eating yogurt for about 2 months now with no problem. no sign of allergy and no other indications of any reactions...to any food for that matter. He's now eating string mozzarella cheese and loves cubes of monterrey jack cheese.

We use plain, unflavored organic whole milk yogurt from Stoneyfield Farms. I'll mix some fruit, oatmeal, cinammon in with this in the morning sometimes. I'll also mix in some cooked millet/barley which he loves.

We occasionally give him a YoBaby yogurt (seems to have more sugar than I'd like for it to) because it is easy to transport...like to the church nursery or out in public. I've also experimented with making my own yogurt a few times.

Happy eating!
    Last edited by TexasMommy; December 30th, 2006 at 06:22 PM.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

dr sears has a great list on his web site but then its just a guide line nothing set in stone.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp

thanks ladies
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

A couple of things I avoided (Per P-T-M's links ) Tomatoes and any kind of Citrus fruits. No berries. No Nuts. No Fish. No Pork or Beef. NO HONEY. NOTHING COOKED with HONEY. This includes honey baked meats and graham crackers. And all things salty. (So no pickles). Berries and nuts are high allergy risks and cooking honey does NOT kill botchelism (SP) spores....babies under a year can't process salt...and I forget why citrus is a bad idea...but now he's a year and I managed to give him everything on this list in the 3days of Christmas Except fish. In no hurry w/ the mercury....but we will get there I suppose....

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    A couple of things I avoided (Per P-T-M's links ) Tomatoes and any kind of Citrus fruits. No berries. No Nuts. No Fish. No Pork or Beef. NO HONEY. NOTHING COOKED with HONEY. This includes honey baked meats and graham crackers. And all things salty. (So no pickles). Berries and nuts are high allergy risks and cooking honey does NOT kill botchelism (SP) spores....babies under a year can't process salt...and I forget why citrus is a bad idea...but now he's a year and I managed to give him everything on this list in the 3days of Christmas Except fish. In no hurry w/ the mercury....but we will get there I suppose....
    Is it just the "big fish" that are a concern? Like shark, etc. . . Meaning the fish that feed on the smaller bottom feeders are the ones that are problematic? Thanks!

shiloh has had pollock and tilapia. its the deep sea ones and salmon, mackerel, cod that have mercury issues, right?

**Leslie**

Mama to:

[QUOTE=ShilohsMom;103505]I don't have a list...as DS eats anything and everything in sight...no baby food for him. The biggest thing that I watch out for is sodium. Annie (paint-the-moon) posted a link about sodium intake in infants...I'll bump it up.
    [QUOTE]

I look for the same thing, sodium content. You would be shocked on how much salt is in a lot of products (including store bought baby food). My DH has high blood pressure and is on a low sodium diet now. I have always followed one due to my fingers swell if I eat too much salt. Glad to know I am not the only mom that is concerned about sodium content!!!!