Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hi! I'm new and frustrated!!

Default hi! I'm new and frustrated!!

First of all, Hi everyone! I'm new here and was hoping to get some help! My son is 3 months old, I got frustrated and gave up breastfeeding at 3 weeks postpartum and have felt guilty ever since. I got my first period and I started leaking colostrum again, but pretty much ignored it. Around the same time this month, I started leaking colostrum again, and my friend Stephanie told me it was possible that I could try to breastfeed again. My son won't latch no matter what, so I'm pumping. I've only been pumping 2 days now though, and I know that it might take a while, but I'm already getting impatient! I'm pumping 6 times a day, 10 minutes at a time on each side, and I'm taking fenugreek. Can anyone give me some advice as to how long this might take? I'm bound and determined to make it work this time, but I just want an idea of how long it might take to get my milk in. I only have colostrum coming in right now, and it's not a whole lot, but I've noticed that there's more now than there was when I started. and is there anything else I can do to help it? any kind of teas or something? and also my nipples look like they're bruised. they have dark purple spots on them and I can get more out of my right than my left. Is this normal? thanks in advance for any information!

Default Re: hi! I'm new and frustrated!!

I don't have any answers for you, but good luck! There is a specific forum on relactation and induced lactation that you should check out. Have patience and I wish you luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Congrats on relactating! You could try a breast-aid to help teach your baby to latch onto your breast, but it usually works best if you completely sut out all fake nipples (bottle, pacifiers etc...). They are really neat and you won't have to worry about your baby starving by not eating, they have a bag you fill with ebm or formula and a tube that you tape down to your nipple, this way baby must be at breast to eat which not only helps him/her learn to latch it will increase you milk supply naturally. What kind of pump are you useing? Usually a hospital grade works best to increasing milk supply, and you want to do it as often as baby would feed for 15-20min, even if you are dry pumping. Fenugreek never did anything for me except make me smell funny, but you could try Mother's Milk Tea, you also have to make sure you are taking enough. I was told to take 3 910mg capsules 3 times a day, but for me it never worked, some women it does, especially if your milk supply is low. The dark purple spots sounds like you are bruising your nipples, don't turn the pressure up to high when you pump and put lanolin on before & after you pump. Hope this helps! also, eating oatmeal helps too.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

I have the Avent Isis pump. Where could I find mother's milk tea?

Post Re: hi! I'm new and frustrated!!

I would go to google.com and type in mothers milk tea and there will be some sites to click on. That is where I would start. Congrats on your ds. My daughter will be three months on the 27th of this month. Good luck. Don't give in. Take a deep breath and relax when you feel that way and just think of the reason why you want it to work.

Hello
    The Mother's Milk Tea, that I use is called Traditional Medicinals Organic Mother's Milk. I put the Mother's milk tea bag with the Traditional Medicinals Organic Raspberry Leaf tea bag (supports the Female system). The only reason I put the two together is because the mother's milk tea is not so great alone. Drink 3-5 cups a day. It worked great for me! You can buy it at Wild Oats, Whole Foods. I hope this helps!

I agree with the previous poster about using the hospital grade pump! I rented one for the first month to build my supply when my DS was in NICU and it is much more effective than the Avent Isis. You can easily pump 20 minutes at a time every 2-3 hours. Also, unlike the Avent, you can stimulate both breasts at the same time.

I was able to rent a Medela Lactina for a month from a local lactation consultant. It only cost $50 for the month's rental with free technical support on how to use it.

(You can hang on to the Avent since you can always use it for occasional pumping once your supply is established but for building supply I would definitely spring for the hospital grade/electric pump.)

I found out about the rental program from the hospital where my DS was born. Call around to local hospitals to see if there are similar programs near you. Or call your local LLL Leader to find out where you could rent one.

Good luck! And congratulations on your little one!