Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medela vs Lansinoh vs Ameda

Default Medela vs Lansinoh vs Ameda

I am due with our first (a little girl ) in a couple of weeks and am trying to determine which breast pump to get. I will be staying at home so will really only use it for the occasional pumping for the first 6 months - I know my husband would really like to feed her himself sometimes so it will really only be to pump to a bottle for that or for when we have a sitter. After 6 or 7months, I would like to exclusively pump and feed breastmilk through a bottle. I've been looking at the Medela PIS, Lansinoh Double Electric Pump, and have recently heard about the Ameda Purely Yours (seems like the Lansinoh) - any feedback on which is good vs not good - the Medela is quite pricey - is it really worth the money?

We would like to have at least one or two more kids and ideally would like a pump that lasted...

Default Re: Medela vs Lansinoh vs Ameda

I have the Medela PIS and I love it, but I have never used any other pump so I don't know how it compares to the others. I know people who haven't been so lucky with the PIS, but it might be a personal preference.

Hard to know what will work for you and it's one of those items you can't return if you don't like them.

I've been very happy with my Medela PIS advanced. It has definetly been worth the investment. But like the PP, I don't know much about the other pumps. I did have an Evenflo pump before the PIS and it died on me after 2 months.

Exclamation Re: Medela vs Lansinoh vs Ameda

I have a Medela PIS and I like it. I am about to receive a Medela PIS Advanced for free from my insurance company.

Be sure to check with your insurance company to see if they will cover some or all of the cost of a pump. I have BCBS and they cover it with a written prescription from the doc. They say they cover it because it reduces the cost of healthcare for the baby b/c she is on breast milk and gets my antibodies. Since I am returning to work they cover 100% of the cost of a brand new breast pump (qualifies as durable medical equipment).

I would have never know about this except someone from these boards told me about it - Thanks Jeanine!! Of course, they do not share this info if you do not ask b/c they do not want to give out any more money than needed so be sure to ask!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I have used both the Medela PIS and the Ameda Purely Yours (they Lansolin one is the same pump) and I prefer my Ameda over the PIS very much. The settings are much more distinct on the PY and it is a closed circut pump where the PIS is an open circut pump, meaning BM mist gets into the tubes and into the motor when pumping and cannot be cleaned out (it can also go from the motor to tubes and into fresh BM). With the closed circut no BM gets into the motor or back into the fresh milk. Most people consider this about buying a used pump, but for me it kind of grossed me out that milk I pumped however many days, weeks, months was sitting in the motor and getting into my fresh milk. Also, the Ameda & Lansolin are much more cost effective, lighter weight and I just overall prefer the bag it comes in, infact for the longest time it doubled as my diaper bag too.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

i bought the medela classic hospital grade pump of ebay(it was around $500) but i used it with my other 2 and loved it.

I have only used Ameda Purely Yours I am very happy with it.

I also have only used the Ameda and am very happy with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by marymud View Post
    I have a Medela PIS and I like it. I am about to receive a Medela PIS Advanced for free from my insurance company.

Be sure to check with your insurance company to see if they will cover some or all of the cost of a pump. I have BCBS and they cover it with a written prescription from the doc. They say they cover it because it reduces the cost of healthcare for the baby b/c she is on breast milk and gets my antibodies. Since I am returning to work they cover 100% of the cost of a brand new breast pump (qualifies as durable medical equipment).

I would have never know about this except someone from these boards told me about it - Thanks Jeanine!! Of course, they do not share this info if you do not ask b/c they do not want to give out any more money than needed so be sure to ask!!

I was psyched when I delivered my twins! The nurse brought my brand new double PIS to my room! They ordered it for me from my insurance company! I too have BCBS! I have delivered all my children at this hospital. It's the best around and they are very BF supportive!

I have the PIS and have been very happy with it. I think you really get what you pay for with a pump. When you weigh it against the cost of formula or the cost of a rental over the course of a year it is the most economical option. Its just that it is more money initially instead of stretched out over time.