Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I eat chocolate while BF?

Question Can I eat chocolate while BF?

Since about a week before christmas, I made tons of cookies and chocolate goodies for people as gifts (and ate tons and tons of chocolate and sweets in the process - I have no willpower). My 11wo son has recently developed a rasied scaly looking thing on his upper cheek near his eye measuring about 1/2 inch in diameter, and I was wondering if perhaps it is from the excess chocolate I've been consuming of late. The patch is not a ringworm as there is no clear patch in the middle. I've read several things promoting and against the consumption of chocolate while breastfeeding, however was wondering whether any other Mothers out there have experienced anything like this possible skin reaction.

Also - what are your feelings on chocolate. Probably moderation is best - but what quantities does this depict?

Default Re: Can I eat chocolate while BF?

Good, God I hope so! It never occurred to me to ask. It seems completely unreasonable to avoid eating chocolate and I for one have never held back nor noticed any adverse reaction in my son to my chocolate consumption.

Ditto. After the amount I have inhaled over the last week I think I can safely say "YES it's OK" I have some Home Made Chocolate Cheese cake calling my name RIGHT NOW
    The thing you are describing sounds like it could be excema....which would not be connected to you eating chocolate.....
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; December 30th, 2006 at 02:29 PM.

Way too lazy for formula

I've had ringworm before (grr... stupid cat. I had to bathe her every day for weeks!), and it took a while before it had a defined "middle". My doctor didn't even think it was ringworm at first.

However, I am a chocoholic and DS has never seemed bothered by it.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

when my dd was tiny she would get green poops, but any cow's milk bothered her. As she got older it didn't bother her so much.
    If the rash doesn't go away I would ask the doctor about it, sometimes their skin can do some werid looking stuff...

When my first DD was a week old, I had eaten a chocolate doughnut and that night she screamed for hours. I thought for sure it was the chocolate and stayed away from it while BF'ing.

Well, this time around I have been craving chocolate every day since Ashelyn was born, so I couldn't stay away from it for long. I haven't seen any indication that it has bothered her in any way whatsoever.

Did you call your pediatrician about the rash/raised skin?

We have bush medicine out here in Cordova, Alaska. Unfortunately the Doctor's don't know much about breastfeeding etc. For example, when I developed mastitis and diagnosed myself, the doctor had to ask ME what it was. Needless to say, we don't have pediatricians here and DH and I pretty much diagnose ourselves when we are ill or have any medical complaints.

Oh my gosh! Good thing for the internet, huh?

I hope you figure out what the rash is and have it treated!!!

My LO's doc told me chocolate may be one of the many many foods that could upset my LO and cause gas but I decided it was well worth the risk. I left it in my diet and she has been fine! A small bit of chocolate is the only thing that gets me through some pumping sessions!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

My DS was sensitive to chocolate when I was bfing him, but he would scream, not have skin irritations. I'm not sure if it was the caffeine in it or what (he was highly sensitive to caffeine, too).

Lisa