Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping baby awake while nursing?

Default Keeping baby awake while nursing?

Any suggestions on how to keep baby awake while nursing? He will wake up to nurse, nurse vigorously, and fall asleep 5 minutes later. It ends up taking over 90 minutes to finish a feeding. I know if he didn't keep falling asleep it would probably only take 30 minutes. If I put him in his crib to sleep he wakes up right away ready to nurse, only to start nursing and fall asleep again! I have tried the skin to skin contact, baby sit ups, changing his diaper, all with the same result, he wakes up and begins nursing again, then falls back asleep. When I feed him a bottle he stays awake the entire time. Any suggestions? The 90 minute sessions are really tough.

Default Re: Keeping baby awake while nursing?

I am having the ecaxt same problems. I was getting ready to post a thread and then I saw yours. I hope someone can give us some good advice. Sorry I do not have any at the time, but if I try something that works I will let you know.

Shelly

We always changed my DD's diaper before nursing, made sure she was good and awake (and mad). Also to keep her awake while nursing, I would play with her hair/top of her head. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. If she fell asleep between boobs/or time to switch sides, we would do another diaper change, needed or not, it always woke her up. Good luck!!!

I always have found(to this very day) that all you really have to do is try to pull your nipple out of their mouth...It reminds me of my DH sleeping with the remote in his hand Snoring....but if you try to take it away, he's sitting up going "I was just resting my eyes!"
    Baby same way with the Boob. Looks asleep, acts asleep, try take a way the teat, frantically sucking again!!! So whenever your baby goes to sleep, just gently pull your breast like your going to take it out of his mouth....he should wake up enough to keep sucking. And YES you may have to do this every 5mins. But hey, they are drinking magic wonder tonic and they DO actually get all blissed out from your milk. So...a little patience. Yes a 90mins feed seems a little extreme but feeding sessions that last 45mins to an hour are VERY common at this stage in the game!

Way too lazy for formula

I used to stroke my baby's cheek, and also would stick my finger in his mouth to act like I was going to break the latch. I also ALWAYS changed the diaper between sides.

I know they say not to time your baby with feeding, but I used to aim for at least 10 minutes (when they were newborns), and go longer, if possible. Then I'd change the diaper, switch sides and aim for another 10 minutes, and hopefully longer. Not sure how old your baby is, and I'm not advocating that you live by the clock, either. It just worked for me, until my baby stopped falling asleep all the time at the breast.

Lisa

How old is your LO??

DS used to fall sleep ALL the time, until about 2 months he started to be awake for feedings, I tried about everything, and I must say it doesn't always work, but most of the time it did:
    1) changing his diaper (even if he didn't need to be changed...
    2) undressing him to his diaper so he wouldn't be so warm and cozy....
    3) Singing to him real loud (not screaming, but loud enough to get his attention
    4) A wet washcloth in his forehead

It went away on its own, and DS doesn't sleep at all any more (3.5 months), I wish I could make him fall sleep every time I nurse him.

I agree with all of the PP - esp. about "pulling the nipple out" - I pull my LO back so there is a little tension on the nipple and she pulls it back in quickly and begins feeding strongly as if she is telling me "Wait, I'm not done with that yet." I have also found my LO does not like her hears rubbed or cleaned so I do that when she falls asleep and she perks right up.

If you use a cold wash cloth be sure you do not chill your LO too much if he/she is very young. 2 days PP the nurse in the hospital was showing me how to wake my LO with a cold damp cloth and she began shivering quickly so much that they had to put her under the heat lamp! It scared me and I was so mad at the nurse at the time. I have since used this method with out any problems so it was just a one time problem.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

When I first brough DS home from the hospital he was exactly like you have described, taking AGES to nurse, falling asleep and then waking wanting to nurse again.

Our public health nurse suggested to me that before nursing I strip him down to his diaper, and it really seemed to work. We used to say "Time to get naked it's time to eat!". After a couple of weeks of that, he got much better and got down to about 20 minutes for a nursing session, and now I'm super lucky because he's done in 5-8 minutes every time, even night feedings!

Hang in there, it does get better as that little baby figure out exactly how to get the most milk from you in the best way possible!
    First time Mommy to Alexander - Born Jan 15, 2006

Thank you for all the tips! I'll give them a try starting tonight. My baby is 4 weeks old (born 3 weeks early), 7lbs1oz now, he was 4lbs,5oz at birth, so we are doing pretty well with weight gain. I am just so exhausted with the very long feedings. Hopefully when I try the diaper changing between sides and some of your other ideas it will get a little easier to keep him awake and focused on eating. A friend suggested feeding him formula for one night feeding to keep him satisfied longer so I can get more sleep. Is this a bad idea if I have enough breast milk to give him? He is eating every two hours which means I am getting less than an hour sleep in between feedings. I feel guilty giving him formula if I can give him breast milk, and I don't even know if that will help keep him full for a longer period of time. But at the same time a period of longer than an hour for sleep sounds so great right now.

You know what Kendall, I know it's really rough right now, but in the grand scheme of things, this is a very very short period of time in your childs' life and I really really encourage you to just rests when your baby rest AROUND the CLOCK instead of just trying to sleep at night and really just accept the fact that ALL nursing mothers spend the 1st 6-12weeks basically just feeding their children. Set your self up to do just that and let everything else go. Set up a "Nursing Island" in the day wherever you would like to spend it...Either on the couch or in your bed with nursing pillows, pillows for you, the remotes, the phones a huge glass of something to drink and snacks. Plan only to get up to get your self more food, pee and change diapers. And believe me when I tell you that's enough to worry about right now and everything else CAN & WILL wait.
    Supplementing is a slippery slope and often leads to supply issues. Every time you supplement, the reason your child goes longer in between feedings is because formula is HARDER to digest and therefore takes longer. So your body misses TWO signals AT LEAST to make milk. The time when he should have been at your breast in the 1st place and then when the he would have absorbed it all naturally at the two hour point. There is NO question that the absolute best thing you can do for your preemie is Exclusively Breastfeed. I would NOT risk supply issues! Technically your baby only a week old right? I would not play around when your nursing relationship as well as your supply are still being established. If you set up on the couch or bed put your self in a position that you can sleep while the baby sleeps and nurses. One thing that help is to make sure your feet ARE UP and use neck pillows. With my feet up and a neck pillow I could put the baby on a boppy and let him go to town and we could BOTH rest. Good luck. Your are doing great. Just stay focused. You can do this.

Way too lazy for formula