Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I've heard of nursing strikes, but not eating strikes

Default I've heard of nursing strikes, but not eating strikes

This past week my 15 month old DD decided she didn't want to eat solids. Problem is, despite the fact we still nurse, it's not enough in my opinion to meet her nutritional needs as we only nurse about four times a day. She went for her well visit yesterday and the Dr. didn't seemed to concerned about it other than her weight was the same, maybe 2 oz. less than her 1 yr weigh-in. He found no secondary illness either (she had strep throat about two weeks ago)

I've heard of nursing strikes and knock-on-wood have never experienced one. Has anyone else run into the problem with their normally good solid eaters suddenly decide they don't want to eat?

She had 1/2 of a yogurt and a few O's on Wednesday, a few O's yesterday and I finally got her to eat applesauce this morning and yogurt for dinner, of course this was only if I fed her as opposed to her feeding herself via spoon or finger foods. If I kept her hands & eyes occupied on something (spoon, bowl, tv remote) I could spoon food into her with minimal protest.

Is she just testing me?

Default Re: I've heard of nursing strikes, but not eating strikes

The Pedi RN who runs my Mommy & Me group refers to this as "Toddler Anorexia" and says it's VERY VERY common! And that there is nothing you can do except keep providing quality and opportunity. (And thank your lucky stars your ARE still nursing. Because from what I hear most toddlers go through it to some degree and if she wasn't still nursing 4x a day...what then?)The main thing is don't make a big deal about this. Offer meals at regular meal times and don't offer anything unhealthy or out of the ordinary in an attempt to get her to eat something. She says cereal and crackers is usually the Diet! So just keep offering her healthy well balanced choices and if she choose not to...well that's her choice. At this age she has to be trusted to eat to hunger. Perhaps this is the age we all got introduced to the "Dessert" incentive? As in "If you don't eat dinner you get no dessert"? At any rate I am hoping to still be nursing at this stage for this very reason. I know I won't worry about hi, starving if he is still controlling his BM intake. At any rate it IS normal. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

maybe also she is still getting over the streap that can make eating very painfull!

I encourage you to read "My Child Won't Eat!" by Dr. Gonzalez. It should ease your mind immensely, especially if you read the appendices.
    I was sure both my kids were living on breastmilk and air for the year or so between 18 mos and 2.5 years! They are 10yrs and 4 yrs now and haven't suffered a bit for it.
    Just keep supplying nutritious food-- your child will eat eventually.
    Dawn

Could she be getting her molars? My daughter was v. reluctant to eat solids for about a week before her molars began erupting.

I wouldn't worry too much if you are nursing her 4 times a day. Probably more important she stays hydrated. She will eat when she gets hungry enough.

As Djs Mom said--just keep putting nutritious foods in front of her--meals and snacks. Give her the opp. to eat, even if she refuses each time. She'll come back to the table.

Smile Re: I've heard of nursing strikes, but not eating strikes

Thanks everyone for posting and suggestions.

I know it's not her molars because all four came in the same in November. I think it might be just a phase. She went back to daycare yesterday and is back to a more "normal" schedule. She at a ton at dinner tonight.

I am glad this worked out for you. I am posting to thank you for starting this thread--my DS was off most solid foods for a couple of weeks in December, and I had no idea this was common until I saw your post and the responses. Thanks everyone!