Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lop-sided!

Question Lop-sided!

Hello. I wanted to ask a few questions.

Last week I had a gastrointestinal virus and of course became a little dehydrated. After speaking to my LC, I felt that my milk supply was a little low. So I pumped for three days after feedings during the day time. And of course, I then made myself have too much milk. I had to pump for several days to relieve myself because I would get so engorged. So we have a lot of milk in the freezer now!!

I have been "weaning" myself from pumping... Getting through the engorgement as best as I can and pumping less and less each day. Today I haven't pumped at all and its still pretty painful. is this a good strategy??

Also, one breast is producing much more than the other. In fact, the other breast feels back to normal now while the other remains engorged. What should I do??

Default Re: Lop-sided!

I've found that using ice packs on my breasts after feeding or pumping has helped with reducing engorgement. I don't think you should worry about being lopsided, I'm sure things will even out real soon. But I'm no expert so maybe someone else will have some better ideas.
    Good Luck.

Block feed. And feed twice on the normal breast to every one time on the engorged breast...it should get the message

Way too lazy for formula

what is block feed?

Quote Originally Posted by jenpbarr View Post
    what is block feed?
    That's where you do an entire feeding off one side.

Way too lazy for formula

Red face Re: Lop-sided!

Hi everyone, similar sort of situation with my 3rd child.
    I'm really struggling to 'level-up' my breasts. My right breast was slightly larger when I finished feeding my middle child and I'm somehow creating the same situation again!
    He only ever feeds from one breast per feed and I've tried feeding on just my smaller side to increase the supply to that side, but I'm becoming engorged on my big side. It's really starting to bother me now and I'm really stuck as to what to do about it - I'm a full cup size different already and don't want to stop feeding but don't want to make the situation worse! Any advice please?!!

Like the PP I tried getting my lower-producing side to catch up, but since I already produce much more milk than my LO can drink, I decided instead to partially wean my higher producing side.

I've reduced pumping to twice a day on that side, and only expressing an ounce each session. I'm using ice packs and cabbage leafs to help with the engorgement but that breast is still MASSIVELY huge and rock hard. How long can I expect it to take before my body adjusts and begins producing less from that breast?