Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too many bottles?

Question Too many bottles?

Hi all. My dd will be 13 weeks when I return to work. When I work an 8 hour day I will be able to breastfeed her during my lunch, and she will have between 1-3 bottles during that day (one in AM when dad drops her off at grandmas, and 1-2 bottles at Grandmas depending on her hunger). I'll be able to bf for the rest of the day and at night. However, when I work a 10 hour day she may possibly need up to 4 (or more) bottles! Will this be a problem? She typically eats every 2 hours, so I'm trying to think of how many bottles she'll get each day. What do you think?
    Also, have your babies gone longer between nursing sessions as they got older? Some day she only goes 1.5 hours (and I feel like shes in a constant growth spurt). She's growing great, pooping/peeing great, and I know I don't have a supply problem. Do they ever go 3 hours during the day?!?

Default Re: Too many bottles?

Yes. Usually after 4months they can go 3hours w/out eating. As long as you are pumping while away from her, you should be making roughly what she eats each day for the next day. Work on your freezer supply NOW so if you DO start to come up short you can supplement w/your own milk.

Way too lazy for formula

my lo starting going 3 hours in between feedings every once in a while when she was 2 months old. it would usually happen when she was at her grandparents house or if we were out shopping. when she is encountering alot of stimulation, she forgets about eating. she is a rather large baby and i feel that she eats alot when she nurses-or at least enough to hold her off that long. i am preparing to go back to work as well and i am not going to count on 3 hour intervals. i would rather leave an oversupply than return from work to find an angry baby! i am eager to see how much she actually consumes in a day!

Moving this to the Working forum for more replies from working moms! It accidentally ended up in Caregiver Issues, but we will fix that!

re: the time between feedings...my youngest son (now 9.5 mos.) just started going 3 hours or a bit longer at like 8 mos. old, so be aware that there is a big range of what is normal, in case your LO isn't like the previous posters whose babies started going longer between feedings earlier.

Also, just for info....with my youngest son, he had been having 3 meals of solids a day for like 2 mos. before he actually started spacing his nursing sessions out to 3 hours...and honestly, he still eats like every 2-3 hours most of the day and only has like 2- 3-4 hour seperations...

I think that there's probably a big range of what's totally normal...my youngest just likes his BM at shorter intervals...