Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reheating breast milk

Default reheating breast milk

is it recommended, or even safe, to reheat breast milk that the baby has not touched for a second time (placed in fridge, warmed up -- baby refused at that time, placed in the fridge again, reheated when baby is ready)...

Default Re: reheating breast milk

I had two rules: (1) go by the smell test first and foremost; and (2) usually allow one reheating of a bottle of EBM (even if partially eaten). I was usually running low on EBM, though, so I tried to stretch my supply as much as possible. (My DD doesn't take a bottle anymore.)

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I don't have any research or anything to back me up, but I wouldn't offer it a 2nd time. I know breastmilk is miraculous with all its antibody properties, but with most "food" products, reheating and cooling down repeatedly is a good breeding ground for microorganisms. I guess I wouldn't take the chance.

Lisa

Reusing expressed breastmilk

i re-heat and re-offer a partially used bottle of EBM to dd...if she doesn't finish the bottle the first time, i put it back in the fridge. with 4 hours or so, i re-heat and re-offer. if she doesn't drink it all, then i trash the remaining EBM...i never offer a 3rd time.

if in doubt, do the smell/taste test!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Do you reheat milk that was once frozen as well? I think I've read somewhere that you are not suppose to do this because the freezing process has changed the composition and makes it unsafe to reheat frozen milk more than once? I once gave my son a bottle of previously frozen milk that had been partially eaten before I did this. Is this really a concern or would you still offer that bottle as well?

My mom keeps my ds one day a week and she offers a bottle of about 4 ounces at each feeding. Whatever he doesn't take (if any) goes straight into the fridge and she reheats it to start the next feed. Then fresh milk goes into a new clean bottle so she isn't mixing new with old. The later in the day it gets the less she puts into the bottle so that we don't risk wasting. She also tries to use up all that I bring her freshly pumped instead of having to thaw out frozen. Once she had thawed some frozen and there was about 3 ounces left that he hadn't taken. My dh tried to get him to take it that night at bedtime- but smart boy knew mommy was in the house and he refused it. I called my lactation consultant the next day and she said 24 hours after thawing and it had to be chunked- can't be refrozen.