Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegetarian baby?

Default Re: Vegetarian baby?

Hmmmm.... I'm trying remember exactly; I know it's written down in the records I keep of just about every meal this baby has eatten....! BUT, from memory, I think it must have been sometime around 10 months. It was after I knew he did fine with straight tofu cooked in broth and also with egg yolk and also with cheese.... I think that's right. Maybe sometime in month 9, but 10 for sure.
    Jsmom

I am very happy to see all of this info in here! I have been a vegetarian for almost twenty years. We have raised my twelve year old daughter as a veg, and are wanting to do the same for our four month old. Our twelve year old has always been a very picky eater, and sometimes I blame myself for not introducing her to enough different foods early on. This gives me lots of ideas and tips! Thanks!

Sorry it took a while to get back here... BUT, wanted to say that we've tried several of the frozen/thawed/brothed tofu balls and they were fine! DS seemed to really enjoy them just like the fresh-cooked ones. So, for whatever that's worth, it's additional data!
    AND.... I'm very pleased to report that after all the good foods DS has been eating in the last couple of months, his hemoglobin reading at his 12-month check-up this week was SOLIDLY in the healthy/normal range! Yeah!
    Go tofu & beans & lentils-lovin' baby!
    Jsmom

Thanks for the recipe Jsmom!! I can't wait to try it! And I'm happy to hear your DS is doing well. The thought of raising a vege baby is getting easier and easier thanks to you. Thanks a bunch!!

Thanks! That's the nicest thing I've heard all day! So very glad to be able to share some experiences that help. Feel free to PM me if you want encouragement specific to all this, etc. I'm happy to help if I can!

Kind of an interesting thing has happened in the last week or so. DS had his first birthday the weekend before last. We knew we were having family visiting from out of town the following weekend, so we just did a little "just the three of us" celebration with him. We offered him organic vanilla ice cream as his 'treat', with the requisite big "1" candle on top. Well, he ate a few bites, but wasn't all that interested in the sweet treat! Then, this past weekend, I made simple yellow cupcakes - from scratch - and kept the sugar content relatively low. The frosting was plain whipped cream with just a little vanilla and very little sugar. Wouldn't you know, he ate one bite (which grandma, grandpa and proud daddy got recorded for posterity on digital) but was much more interested in going back to eat black beans! I'm wondering if we really are cultivating a little guy who would prefer to eat less-sweet stuff and hopefully less junk? Wouldn't that be awesome!?!
    Jsmom

YAY! I'm so glad to read this thread. There's some great advice and it's nice to see we're not the only ones going at the vege thang. Dh is a meat eater and slips ds some now and then, but ds eats what I cook so he's mostly vege. He loves his scrambled egg yolks and organic yogurt. Haha..a black bean baby as well. One word of caution with the beans... make sure you give plenty of water with the beans (a fellow LLL member mentioned to me that if you don't the babies can get a rash that can be confused with allergies).
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Wow; I had no idea about the black-beans/rash connection. Thanks for that input! We're lucky that DS totally LOVES to drink his water. Since we've not seen that interfere with food or milk consumption, I'm happy to let him drink water. We live in an area that has fluoride in the tap water (and tap water is some of the best rated in the country), so that's good for his teeth and keeps the pediatrician just a little toned down about her fury of what night-nursing is going to do to his teeth....no matter how much research I do and provide to the contrary!
    BTW...DH went to college in western PA (Allegheny) and sister-in-law (other side of family) is from Pittsburgh....and, boy, have I spent LOTS of time in that airport going coast-to-coast over the last 15 years! I feel a bit of connection to that area!
    Jsmom