Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 16montholdneedto leave for 4 days out of state

Default 16montholdneedto leave for 4 days out of state

Hi:

I already left this on the home page. My biggest question is or whatever I do not want my baby to wean but, I have to leave him 4 states away for 4 days at eighteen months it will be on March 9. He will be 16 months on Jan.2!!! He loves to nurse he even shakes his head up and down when he wants to nurse. Here is some more info. I do not get much when I pump so I am not sure that he will have very much mommy milk for when I am gone. Iam not worried about him nutritionally because he eats everything. I have been gone from him for about 16 hours once a month since he was a year during this time he usually does drink some whole cow's milk. I am most concerned about him missing me at night------and I want to be able to nurse him when I come back. I guess I will probably pump when uncomfortable about twice or three times in 24 hours. There is no way to take him on this business trip especially since he is an older baby he eats all the time regular table food. Oh also just so you know I do leave him about two to three evenings a week but he usually nurses at 11pm or 12am when I come back from work. He is a very good tempered and usually just goes with the flow sippy food or Mommy depending on if Mommy is there. I want to be able to nurse him when I come back that is my biggest deal

Thanks in advance

Default Re: 16montholdneedto leave for 4 days out of state

Try not to worry. It will be fine. I have had to leave my DD twice now for four days and will have to do so again in mid-January. She always picks back up where we left off. Remember that our LOs nurse not only for nutrition, but for comfort and closeness with mom as well.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

I would also say not to worry however you are a mother and that is what mothers do, or at least I do! I am not sure but I don't imagine your baby will wean from nursing in four days I guess you have to keep your milk supply up when you are away? I am sure that he will miss you but what about 'daddy' could he sleep with him for the length of the trip or maybe sleep with something that has your scent on it? I hope this helps, just think of all the lovely cuddles when you get home!!!!!

you and me both sister! I have to leave my 25 month old son for 4 nights as well, so I know how you feel. I really think night-weaning him before I go would be the best, but I have failed this. He still nurses every 2 hours during the night most nights. I have been assured he will not wean while away, but since he is over 2, I am not sure if I would mind so much.

Just know that you are not alone. My trip is before yours so I will be sure to post how he did. For my son, I think the overnight will be the worse. That is when he is most used to having me there. But I have been told by many people they have left their kids that they are fine. A couple have been upset. My LLL leader told me to sleep in another room for a couple of nights to see how he is, but I haven't been able to do that for more than a couple of hours.

Good luck!

tHANKS lIsa:
    I can't wait to hear about your trip I don't know if we are able to do this but I would love to exchange emails Maybe you can email me: Thanks **email removed**

Thanks Cory
    Last edited by @llli*LLLMaryP; January 1st, 2007 at 09:59 PM. Reason: to remove personal information

Hi Cory,
    It's safer to not post personal information. If you'd like to email or Private Message someone on the boards, you can click on their names. Hope this helps.
    Mary