Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Small Fry--Eating Solids

Unhappy Small Fry--Eating Solids

I need some help. Is there anyone else out there that has had a little peanut? My son was 5 lbs. 8.4 oz. at birth, at 6 months of age he now weighs 14 lbs 8 oz. The problem I am running into is EVERY self help book and website I have read on everything from colic, to not sleeping through the night, to not taking naps and starting solids have all been for "average" sized babies (i.e 7 lbs.+ at birth). I have even come across a statement that babies should triple their birthweight by 1 year...my guy has almost accomplished that and he is only 6 months old! My frustration lies with not being able to use some of the suggestions or techniques for feeding because he is smaller than the average 6 month old. Although he has never been a very good napper, he is starting to wake up more at night and taking full feedings. I started solids last month and my husband (trying to help) started to give him more rice cereal than I normally would
    (thinking this would help him sleep through the night) and as far as I can tell all it does is constipate him. When I started the solids, it effected the breastfeeding and he cut back considerably during the day. Now that I have cut back on the solids to help with the breastfeeding during the day, he isn't sleeping as long/well at night. UUUGH! I am not sure if I am doing too much too soon or if I am just doing all of the feedings in the wrong order....

Default Re: Small Fry--Eating Solids

You were very right to cut back on the solids. Solids should never take the place of breastmilk until the baby is at least 12 mo. What he needs right now is lots and lots of mommy milk, as it has complete and ballanced nutrition and should remain a primary source of nurtition throughout the entire first year. Solids are for fun and learning, and should be a little extra on top of breastmilk.

Rice cereal, while an ok first food, is rather void of nutritional value. I would suggest offering him some fruits and veggies such as avacado (very good for weightgain because of high fat content and also high in iron), peaches, pears, sweet potatoes, bannanas, carrots, etc. Also, since we will soon begin to need an additonal source of iron, meat is a good choice, and turkey is an excellent first meat, since it is the least alergenic meat.

Don't stress about his sleep. I know you're tired (lol, aren't we all?), but try to remember that most babies aren't sleeping through the night until they are at least 12 mo.

eta: Also, bf your baby before all solids; fill him up on the good stuff and the rest is just desert. Also, I don't know how much cereal you are offering, but it shouldn't be more than 1-2 tablespoons of solids at a time for now.
    Last edited by Feorsteorra; March 6th, 2006 at 06:03 PM.

Thank you, that makes me feel better about my gut instincts telling me to cut back on the solids. Now if I can just get my husband on board . My husband was giving him WAY too much rice cereal-about 3 tablespoons at least twice a day!! It has been a constant battle as he is trying to compare our guy with two other babies we know that were born AFTER Evan who are sleeping through the night.

Thanks again!

oy! Isn't it hard to get the dh's on board? They do think they know everything when it comes to baby, and we're the ones who have to deal with the consequences!