Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need better reply to this criticism/"concern"

Default Re: Need better reply to this criticism/"concern"

And how about this argument:

Breasts are not considered sexual in many cultures where breastfeeding well into childhood is normal (ie. 2 or 3 years old). Think of those thousands of National Georaphic photos of bare-chested African women...

I agree with the other posters-- it is US, the adults, and our culture, that sexualizes breasts, not the babies, nor the breastfeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTanya View Post
    Maybe you should let the burden of proof lie with them? Ask them for the studies that show their side. They won't be able to find any. And when they can't be sure to let them know that the AAP has said that nursing into toddlerhood doesn't cause any harm. It's listed in their statement on breastfeeding.
    I love this approach the most!! I'm a smart alek so I'd act all concerned, "Really? Wow, I didn't know that! Can you find that study for me so I can read it too?"
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

You think like I do, Lynda! At the end of the day, though, studies or no studies, if your mother's heart tells you you're doing the right thing, then you are. YOU are the MOTHER, and that's all the justification you need. Unfortunately, not everyone respects that. :-(

My mother bfed me until I was around 2 years old. She sites that she weaned me one night, because I still wouldn't sleep all the way through the night, and I unbuttoned her shirt for her in front of company What I can say is that I have warm fuzzy memories of love and nurturing care as my earliest memories. That I knew I was loved, and I had trust and assurances that she would remain there with me. I have a memory of being held as my very first memory. I am 34 now, and I still feel good about it. What does that say about nursing to everyone?

I don't have any suggestions but wanted to share,

Once an older woman approached me while I was pumping gas, she notice my bumper sticker (BWing, CDing, BFing CSing) and told me I shouldn't BF my son for too long or he will be obsessed with breasts, when I told her I was nursing my DD, she told me to stop even sooner or DD would be a lesbian!
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Make all of them read "So That's What They're For" by Janice Tamaro.
    Good resource. Facts tend to quiet people, or so I've noticed.

Keep up the good work. You're doing the best you can for your child despite what others think.
    Way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by amandalynn View Post
    I don't have any suggestions but wanted to share,

Once an older woman approached me while I was pumping gas, she notice my bumper sticker (BWing, CDing, BFing CSing) and told me I shouldn't BF my son for too long or he will be obsessed with breasts, when I told her I was nursing my DD, she told me to stop even sooner or DD would be a lesbian!

What was my MIL doing all the way in Texas? What the hell is wrong with people, have they no filter, it is not okay to speak before you think!

I would quote the AAP's statement that there is no evidence of psych harm from bfing to 3 yo OR LONGER.. and then ask her what sort of evidence SHE has.