Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rapid gain

Default rapid gain

im a new mom
    my 2.5 month old was born at 38 weeks weighing 6p 8oz, she is now 14p 6oz.
    she is exclusively breastfed, healthy, strong, happy, active and lean and has grown afew inches........but, is she gaining too quickly, should i be concerned?
    also around when does their weight gain tend to level off?
    i would appreciate any thoughts
    thanks

Thumbs up Re: rapid gain

Kay,

I was told by my ped that there is no such thing as too much weight gain in a breastfed child. It is fine for them to go off the charts. I was told not to worry about weight until the child is about 2 years old. Weight in infancy has no bearing on their weight later so you don't need to worry about that. It sounds like she is doing great! Congrats!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Default Re: rapid gain

she is doing great, thanks for the reassurance eva!

Kay,
    Can you tell us exactly how many weeks old your baby is and what her weight was when she left the hospital (not her birth weight)? Also, it's helpful for us to know whether she is being weighed on the exact same scale, at the exact same time of the day each time.

Many healthcare providers (and this happened to me even) will say that if your baby is gaining too quickly that you should supplement or switch to formula. The funniest part of that is that some will also say it when your baby is gaining too slowly.

Be sure that you are working with a provider that understands that you are breastfeeding and that formula will likely make your baby fatter, but not in a healthy way.

It is important to know if they are always using the same scale and if your baby has nursed right before a weighing one time, but not another. There are so many variants, and generally-speaking, weight is really not an issue unless there is a failure to thrive issue in breastfed babies.

Many babies, especially those with rapid gain in the first 6 months or so will start to slim down once they become mobile, crawling & walking.

hi carol
    i was home 7 hours after delivery, im in the arctic.
    she went down a few onces and was back up past birth weight on day 5.
    while seeing the midwives she was on a digital scale
    now at public health a nondigital scale
    maxine was born on the 1st of jan so she is 9 weeks and 3 days old
    i am and have always fed on demand
    i have an abundant milk supplt, through ou,t the day she rarely goes 2 hours without a feed its not always big
    the midwives figure she is gaining 2 onces a day

i look forward to reading your responce

hi erin

my health care providers are pleased, its just me who is curious
    thanks for your thoughts im appreciative

Kay, I'm going to link you over to another discussion similar to this as I think the woman who posted it did a great job of explaining rapid weight gain in breastfed babies -- http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...73&postcount=2

I hope this helps!