Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No, No, NO!

Unhappy No, No, NO!

Having a problem and hopefully you ladies can help me. I've been nursing my 5.5mo daughter since birth. Exclusively breastfeed or with ebm from a bottle when I'm at work during the day. I have a pis and it seems to work just fine when I'm at work. It slows down to nothing at all while I'm at home (sucks). While at work, I'm able to pump 3ozs from each breast to make a total of 18ozs for the day. While at home on vacation for the week, I've been exclusively bfing and have pumped maybe twice. Both times, I've only gotten 1oz!!!! Kaia seems to be getting plenty of milk when we nurse. She doesn't seem hungry and is getting bigger by the day.

Problem is that vacation ends with the new year and I need to leave at least 4 bottles for the nanny on the day that I go back. Any advice? Please help!!

Thank you.

Default Re: No, No, NO!

Babies are more efficient at "emptying" your breast. It could be that because you are nursing more during the day, it's making it difficult to express more milk with the pump.

You could try pumping more often during the day (i.e. pretend you are at work and only pump during the hours you are going to be at work)

Also, if your baby sleeps through the night...maybe you could wake up once during the night for a quick pump...

Do you have any milk stored in a freezer? This is a great idea because then you won't have to worry so much about making 4 bottles...

hope that helps!

NReligioso, thanks for the response. I do have a little freezer stash. Just worried about current production. But you're right. She is more efficient than the pump. Will try not to stress out over it too much. Been doing the "pretend" I'm at work pump but still nothing. I think she's getting everything she needs though. *sigh* will relax

It's hard to relax...that is usually my big problem when pumping. I'll be going back to work in a few weeks so I'll probably be in your shoes pretty soon. How often do you pump at work? Is your employer pretty good about giving you a break to do it? I know the PIS can finish in 7 minutes...how long of a break do you ask for at work...15 min?

I have a hard time getting milk when pumping at times if I'm not fully engorged. If your LO has times where she only feeds off of one breast, (mine does this at night sometimes), try pumping the opposite breast while she is feeding. You'll get the letdown on both breasts and you'll get a good bottle. This works for me. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NReligioso View Post
    It's hard to relax...that is usually my big problem when pumping. I'll be going back to work in a few weeks so I'll probably be in your shoes pretty soon. How often do you pump at work? Is your employer pretty good about giving you a break to do it? I know the PIS can finish in 7 minutes...how long of a break do you ask for at work...15 min?
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I pump about 3 times at work (every 3-4 hours). I work for a great company that paid for half of the PIS and provides a lactation room for nursing mothers. My manager is pretty good about giving me the time too. It was actually easier than I thought to get into a routine.

So funny that it's when I'm home that I have the problem. Good luck returning back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri H. View Post
    I have a hard time getting milk when pumping at times if I'm not fully engorged. If your LO has times where she only feeds off of one breast, (mine does this at night sometimes), try pumping the opposite breast while she is feeding. You'll get the letdown on both breasts and you'll get a good bottle. This works for me. Good Luck!
    Easier said than done as she is easily distracted. I would have to pump once she's done and sleeping. Will try it tonight. Thanks.