Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lack of Interest

Default Lack of Interest

My son is 7 1/2 months and is not a big fan of solids. He shows a lot of interest when I eat but when I offer him food he usually makes puky faces and blows the food out of his mouth. He is gaining weight very well. He's 29 inches long and 21lbs. He's tripled his birth weight. Should I be worrying about his lack of interest in solids or is it alright as long as he's gaining weight well? I find that he eats quite a bit and is getting so big that it's very exhausting to breastfeed him. I plan on breast feeding him for quite a while but I'm hoping I can substitute once in a while (even rarely) with food. Any advise?

Default Re: Lack of Interest

I am having exactly the same issue with my 2nd daughter - she turns 8 months Jan. 3, and has pretty much no interest in actually eating. Today I had a small victory by getting her to eat sweet potatoes, but that was a first. I've been trying solids for about 2 months now and this was the first time she didn't 'choke' when food hit her tongue.

you could try making your own food my baby ate homemade sweetpotatoe pureed first!

have you tried table foods? Things that he can eat himself?
    My last 3 babies wanted nothing to do with the spoon and fed themself.
    WE just started with table foods at about 9-12 months old.

I have a 9 month-old and I've been trying to feed her solids since she turned 6 months, following her pediatrician's advice. My Noelia shows no interest -furthermore, most of the times she closes her mouth, clenches her teeth and starts crying. Her pediatrician is driving me nuts saying my baby should be eating chicken, beef and fish already (I can harldly interest her in some mashed bananas or sweet potatoes -all homemade). I'm trying not to worry about this because Noelia is still VERY interested in my milk and is putting on weight just fine...If this is hereditary, well, I shouldn't complain (my mother tells me I started with solids at 10 months...and she wasn't breastfeeding me).
    Anyway, I've been reading the other messages and I'm glad I'm not alone and that my baby is no freak! I'm afraid I don't have much advice here, I just need some myself!
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

DON'T WORRY......I thought I was all alone, too, because my DS wanted nothing to do with solids for the longest time. Eventually, we figured out that spoon feeding was the problem (just like the PP said). Even when our DS was eating some solids, he still wasn't super excited about them until he hit about a year old.

Don't worry about it too much at this point. Just keep the atmosphere light. There is a section somewhere on this site about starting finger foods. Very ripe bananas are a great first food.

Lisa

I guess when they're ready they'll eat and as long as their gaining weight, breasfeeding regularly and healthy thats all that matters. Thanks for the supportive feedback ladies!