Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

My 7.5 month dd use to have poopy diapers 4-5xs per day before we started her on solids a month ago. Now she goes once a day, but does she GO (good texture, not constipated)! I never thought a baby could produce SO much (or that a diaper could hold so much )! Is this normal? My mom doesn't think a baby should have such large BMs--I'm looking for other insights.

She is at daycare during the day, drinks 15-20 oz of EBM plus has two meals of solids--cereal (1 tbl dried) and fruit in the a.m. and cereal (1 tbl dried) and veggies in the pm. At night I feed her veggies with a dessert of fruit.

Default Re: Is this normal?

Wow. That sounds to me like a lot of solids in one day for her age, but then every baby is different. How often is she nursing?

The poop situation sounds very normal to me. So long as the poop isn't hard or dry, no worries in that department.

my 4 year old and 2 year old are both big poopers....
    you would think they were storing in both legs.
    normal but shocking! I'll be glad when they are older and don't need help in the bathroom any more.

We've got an 11.5 month-old baby who seems to have hollow-legs that fill with poo as well! We declare that J is being "bio-boy" on the days that he cranks out 2-3 HUGE diaper-filling poos!! (it must be all the lentils, beans and produce in addition to BM!) I think there is a very large range of what is 'normal', so as a previous poster said, as long as the stools aren't hard/dry or painful, this is probably fine and normal for your little one!
    Jsmom

I agree, one of my babies pooped like this - it's amazing how much can be stored in such a small body!! She also ate quite a bit at this stage too, as the previous post said, every child is different. Plenty of big poos are preferable to the dreaded constipation!