Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pain with breatfeeding

Default pain with breatfeeding

hi im have a 3wk old, im doing my best trying to stick with the breast feeding. how much longer for the sore nipples. sometimes it hurts and cringe at the thought of feeding. i purchases some cream for me nipples but it not helping that much. any suggestions.

Default Re: pain with breatfeeding

Have you seen a lactation consultant or talked to a LLL leader? It sounds like you might have a poor latch. I was in a lot of pain until we got better at latching on. You also might have a large milk flow and your child might be biting the nipple to slow the flow of milk down.

Hope this helps,
    Meredith

i had terrible pain for the first month of breast feeding. once we got better at latching on, it still took a while for my nipples to heal from the bruising. i highly recommend gel patches that can be found in most baby sections of drug stores or stores like target or K mart calles "Soothies". before i used the soothies i was in so much pain that i would have a tear running down my cheek as my daughter began to latch on. the soothies made such an incredible difference in helping me to heal that i really believe that without them i would have given up. they are a little pricey-about 10 dollars for one set that can be used a couple of times-but i feel they are well worth the money. if you purchace them, i recommend putting them in the freezer for a couple hours before using them.

The first 5 weeks of breastfeeding were the most painful. It felt like my nipples were sun burnt and I would cringe every time my son would want to feed. All he did was eat for the first two months and I remember thinking that I wouldn't mind him eating so much if my nipples didn't hurt so bad. I used Lanolin by Lansinoh as nipple cream and it worked the best but it did not prevent the pain. Your nipples will adjust it just takes a little while. They've never had to deal with this sort of activity before. Hang in there the pain wont last forever and your doing a great job.

Congrats on your lo! You sound like me just 2 weeks ago. My nipples were so soar my toes curled when I fed her. I consulted a lc and everything was ok on that end. I used nipple cream and soothies to help. I swear, one day I woke up and they were just better and my lo is doing really well! She is now amost 5 weeks old. We have been pain free for about a week and a half. Hang in there, I was about to through in the towel and things got a lot bettet!

Yeah, I consult a lactation consultant, just to be sure you're not having latch problems.

I had sore nipples for 4-6 weeks. I remember shielding them for the longest time in the shower, because the shower spray hitting them was sooooo painful!!

Hang in there! Once this part is over, it's smooth sailing!!

Lisa