Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions about starting solids

Default Questions about starting solids

When did you start solids??

Did you start them in the morning or at night??

Did you give bottle/breastmilk first or after the cereal??

I'm thinking about starting my 5 1/2 month old daughter, Maleah, on cereal but I'm just not sure yet...

Default Re: Questions about starting solids

We started around 5.5 months. we didn't start with cereal, we started with avocado and banana. i just mushed it with a fork and he ate it right off of the spoon. now at 7.5 months i don't even mush it...he gets whole chunks of food. He ate roast, potatoes, and carrots tonight.

I have always offered to nurse first. BM is more important than the solids he gets...and I want him to get as much BM as possible.

We skipped right over cereal and processed baby foods...except prunes...I am not adventurous enough to make those on my own...but now that my son poops 3-5x a day...he'll probably never get prunes again!

I'll get some frozen mixed veggies and steam them in the micro (we get organic ones with No Salt Added) and put them on his tray for him to eat. he's eaten (in no specific order) broccoli, cauliflower, GB's, pintos, refried, navy beans, lentils, rice, garbanzo beans, hummus, roast, hamburger, chicken, potatos, corn, celery, red and green bell peppers, cheese, yogurt, every fruit known to man except oranges, avocado, spinach, tilapia, alligator, carrots....that's what I can think of right now. I'm sure there's more. He's eaten just about everything, mostly what we eat...but now I'm cooking with almost no salt because I don't want him to have all of that sodium. don't be scared to try flavorful things, and do 1 new thing at a time...but remember that flavorful doesn't = salty.

good luck.
    Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    We started around 5.5 months.
    Good, At least I find another mom at 5.5 months. My baby is already sitting and putting everything in his mouth. Breastmilk alone is not enough now. He's ready for solids. I want to satrt making my own purees, however I'm taking the stage 1 squash, and sweet peas to daycare this week. He's eating once a day at daycare. He doesnt seem to be allegic to squash or peas, since we have tried them for three days consecutively. I want the weekend to satrt making purees and freezing them to take to daycare. Those gerber jars are so expensive! and really not so nutritious.
    My pediatrician says after he's tried a couple of vegetable and fruis, we can start him off with white meats and then red meat if we wished to.
    The only thing I notice is that he's not sleeping that much between feedings at night since he's started solids. He's nursing every 2-3 hours whereas before it was 3-4 hours between each nursing. It might be a growth spurt, or should I start feeding him food at dinner?

I bet hes nursing more at night to make up for the milk he's missing during the day. They are smart little guys.
    And it might be growth also. Try to fit in an extra feed in after your done with the eve chores and I bet he will tank up and sleep a little bit beter for you at night.
    I wouldn't add to much food at dinner time, foods that have not been introduced can make thier tummy hurt and then you'll be up all night!
    I cann't belive you baby is that old already. seams like yesterday he was just born.
    I bet hes gettting big!

So did you start the solids in the morning or at night?? And breastmilk before or after??

I started them at night, breastmilk beforehand. However, you can start solids at any time during the day--whatever works best.

Lisa

We started solids in the morning, but our reasoning for that was because of a family history of food allergies...that way we'd be awake if he did start to show any sort of an immediate reaction. Lots of people start them at night though, even though it doesn't seem to really help them sleep any longer.

We also always nurse first.

Thanks for the replies!!!

Hi all! Julian is eating 4 ounces already. WOW time is going fast. He's having his solids at lunch. I cant believe he's growing soo fast.
    So far we have not detected any allergies, he's eating sweet potatoes, peas, Green beans(He's not so fond of), squash and rice cereal.