Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much solid food at 6 months?

Default How much solid food at 6 months?

I was at the ped today with my 6mo dd. She weighs 17.5 lbs, and is 28.5 inches. She still nurses approx. 8x/day, every 2 hours during the day & 2-3 times at night. We introduced solids at 5 months and I try to give her 1 tbsn cereal and a 1/2 jar fruit once each day. The ped said I should no longer be nursing at night, decreasing her milk and increasing her solids. She doesn't seem as interested in solids as she does milk. And replacing milk with cereal and jarred food doesn't seem right to me. Do you have any recommendations on solids? Should I find another ped?

Default Re: How much solid food at 6 months?

Hi! I think your last sentence is my first sentiment. Find another ped!

Seriously, though, I am often amazed at what some pediatricians say, when the American Academy of Pediatrics says that babies should be bf'd for a minimum of one year.
    From the AAP Policy:
    Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal nutrition and sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months after birth...
    and
    It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired
    It's like they got their license and stopped learning & keeping up to date. Well, actually, that's exactly what happens with some professionals. Unfortunately.

It is entirely normal for babies to wake in the night to nurse anywhere from 1 to 5 (or more) times. This is normal until the baby is a year or older. It's also normal to wake more or not at all, but 2-3 times a night for a 6 month old is right on track. Formula fed babies sometimes sleep through and "shouldn't need to eat" at night at this age because the formula takes longer to digest, whereas breast milk takes only 20 minutes to a half an hour.

Breast milk is your baby's main source of nutrition for the first year with solids playing a minor role at this point. Right now, introducing solids should be more about exploring new textures, tastes and learning about chewing vs. sucking.

Ounce for ounce, bm is more nutritionally sound than any single food you can give your DD and has a higher calorie count.

If you do want to introduce some higher calorie solids, try avocado. It's loaded with good fats and healthy cholesterol.

Here is the La Leche League page with everything you ever wanted to know about starting solids but were afraid to ask

Sounds to me like your gut intuition is your best guide.

Sorry if this response sounds overly fiery, I just am all worked up 'cause I can't believe some of the things peds are telling mommies. Grrrr.

Thank you so much Evin!! I have decided to switch to another ped. It's great to have so much support!

I completely agree with the pp. It really frustrates me with peds tell mothers to stop nursing....it seems like they should be the ones encouraging it since it has been proven that it is the best source of nutrition for our babies. Find a new ped that will support you in your decision to continue bfing your lo. Follow your instincts and not what your ped tells you because you are the mother. I am considering finding another ped for my ds because my ped doesn't agree with some of the decisions that I have made with my lo.....it is hard when you want to do what is best for your lo and someone tells you to do something completely different. Follow your instincts and all will be well .
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

My Pedi (family Dr.) is very supportive to breastfeeding and has been our family Dr. for at least 15 yrs. She told me that she would like to see me hold off on solids until 6 months but that by 5 months if they are showing interest sitting properly in chair...etc. that it's ok to start solids. Yes, BFing is best of course and suggested for at least one yr. And according to my Dr. it's good for them to start on solids by 5 to 7 months because they need the fiber...etc. from it. So while it is good to start solids your baby should be getting it's main nutrition from BM. HTH

my kids didn't have any solid foods untill they were about 9-12 months old and they are healthy and alive.