Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek question...

Default Fenugreek question...

I've been taking fenugreek now for about 1.5 weeks and have noticed a significant increase in my milk production. I've been taking 3 pills 3x a day. how long do i continue this? once I stop, will my milk reduce?

Default Re: Fenugreek question...

bump

anyone have any info?

I took fenugreek 3 pill, 3x a day and didn't notice an increase. I was then told that I should take blessed thistle along with the fenugreek. So I would take 3 pills of fenugreek along with 1 blessed thistle 3x a day. After 2 wks and I still didn't notice an increase, I called and got reglan. I'm new around here and don't know what the feelings on that is, but I tried EVERYTHING before going the Rx way. It didn't help me, but I've heard other moms swear by it.

I took fenugreek a couple of times over the course of my breastfeeding. Both times, I took it long enough to boost supply (which it DID), then stopped. Both times, my supply stayed up. You might be different--you might need to continue taking it, but for me, I only had to take it for a limited time.

Lisa

i've taken fenugreek with great success. i'm currently taking it - 3capsules 3times a day. i stopped taking it after 2-3 weeks and noticed that my milk supply stayed the same. i started taking it again because i noticed a slight decrease in supply...and it's worked again! i guess it really depends on your body....but from what i've read, it seems that a woman's supply doesn't necessarily decrease if she stops taking fenugreek.
    good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I started taking Fenugreek several weeks ago because I was EPing and not getting enough for each bottle. I took it alone and it seemed to help for a few days and then went back down, I combined it with the blessed thistle and I got sick so I stopped the blessed thistle and it came back up. After another week down it went again and I went and was put on Reglan. I've heard there are PPD side effects with Reglan but speaking from my experience I've been ok, and I've been very prone to PPD in the past. I take the fenugreek 2 pills 3 times a day. The recommendation on the bottle says 2 pills 4 times but if I do my blood sugar becomes too low and unmanagable. Just keep in mind that it can lower your blood sugar levels so if you take it and then about an hour later feel a little shakey or dizzy you might want to start taking just one pill and make sure you eat something sugary or have some OJ. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your responses. I am returning to work in a month (sigh) and I will be pumping. I was just scared to stop taking Fenugreek just incase my supply decreases. I think maybe i'll slowly wean myself off and see what happens.

Thanks again!