Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live in small community...

Default Live in small community...

We moved from the Dallas area to a small community in Deep East Texas six months before I became pregnant. Our daughter is now 15 weeks old and is thriving. She was a "healthy" 9 lbs. 12 1/2 ounces at birth. (We had no idea she was so big.) My daughter is now almost 18 pounds.....and is growing daily. She is happy and healthy and quite alert. Maybe someone here can give me some experienced advice.
    I chose to exclusively breastfeed her since before we were pregnant. I'm standing my ground (thankfully my family is supportive of this 110%) and breastfeeding, but I'm so tired of the ignorance of women here who keep giving advice that I need to formula feed. I was told that my daughter sucks on her hands and other objects because she is "not satisfied" by my milk! I've never heard such ridiculous comments, and that is only one of them.
    She has been holding her head up steadily for about five weeks now and has been pulling herself up into a sitting position for about 2 weeks now. She seems to be ahead of other children her age that I see here. (My husband and I credit it to the "good" milk.) When should rice cereal be introduced? She is also biting on everything. Should she be given teething biscuits yet? Also, she seems to just have a couple of good feedings daily with several "snacks". She sleeps from about 8PM to 1AM, if I'm lucky, and then wakes about every two hours for good feedings. It seems like she eats more at night than during the day. Is that just her preferred method of eating or is there something I can do to try to ease her into more sleep at night?

Default Re: Live in small community...

boy I've heard it all also! Just know your breastmilk is best for baby.
    There is a bunch of info on starting solids but here on the forum and on the LLLI web site.
    sounds like she's got her days and nights mixed up...
    it's great shes sleeping that long in once strech for you now if you could get her to move it a little bit later!
    Babies are funny about that sometimes they will change their sleep habits over night and there realy isn't much you can do about it.

Smile Re: Live in small community...

Like the pp said, check out the main part of the LLL website before you go to the mother to mother forum for solid food info...plus, there are lots of older threads on this forum about when to start solids...generally the concensus tends to be according to the AAP...sometime right around 6 mos. depending on whether your baby has all the signs of being ready for solids.

The biting of hands really isn't a sign that your baby is hungry...or that baby's ready for solids. With both of my boys, I noticed that they started to really start to "chew" on toys and their hands ...other people's hands and whatever at about 3 or 4 mos. The both also became drooling machines. For some kids, this is the start of teething...but for us, it was just that baby was learning to chew. My oldest started solids sometime after 5 mos., and didn't get one tooth until 10 mos., and only had 2 at age one, by which time he only ate table food...he just gummed it. My youngest is 9.5 mos., and just got his first tooth today He started on solids about 10 days shy of 6 mos. That's when he was ready, but some kids are actually a little older.

As far as all those formula lovers in your community...just try to ignore them. They're obviously uninformed. Your LO is perfect and is getting the best nutrition possible, and made especially for her and her current stage of development. No formula can change according to your babies current needs like breastmilk can. Next time somebody suggests formula you can always tell them outright that doctors have admitted that they were wrong over the last 40 years or so that they told women formula was better than breastmilk, as the AAP now recommends breastfeeding for at least 12 mos. (with complementary solids after 6 mos.) and as long thereafter as both mom and baby agree to continue. Then you can tell them that the WHO actually recommends breastfeeding for 2 years!!!!

BTW, what does deep east Texas mean? My grandfather lives in Donna TX...I guess its like an hour from Mexico...and I thought that was on the deep East side of Texas...but I'm from Minnesota, so I've really got no idea where he even lives...he summers in Minnesota, so I've never been there.

If you read on kellymom.com she states that about this time (4) months that the LO starts becoming so much more alert and curious during the day that feeding kind of takes a back seat. Sooo, they start waking a lot more during the night to kind of replace the meals they skimp on during the day while they're being so nosey. Plus it could be teething and growth spurts as well. So much change for such a little human being. As far as the ignorant comments, I just pray you're exactly what that community needs to educate and show them exactly what BFing really is. Stay strong and just arm yourself with as many facts and as much research as you can to educate them every time they make aggrivating comments like that!!! HTH and Yahoo to you for standing your ground!!!

I wouldn't do the cereal yet-she's still a bit on the young side. As far as the biscuits, NO WAY!!! My DD is 10 months old and needs constant supervision with these. I did not give her a biscuit, zwieback toast, etc till a month or two ago. 15 weeks is just way too early for that.

As far as ignorant people, hey, there's not much you can say, but if you happen to be in a community of God-fearing folks, you could always say that what the Lord provided can't be beat!!!!

Jenn

we started DS on zwieback toast and biter biscuits around 3.5 months...but he also teethed HORRIBLY. He got his first tooth just before 4 months and it 7months now with 6 teeth and it looks like numbers 7 and 8 are coming through on the bottom. These biter biscuits saved our sanity. I just put him in his high chair and gave him one of them at dinner. That way he could chew on something without really starting solids. It made a mess but made for 1 happy baby. We also gave him frozen whole carrot sticks (not baby carrot sticks, but the whole kind, peeled. He loved those and he could never bite them off.

That said, I wouldn't leave them unsupervised with and food or teething biscuit. We also got an organic teething biscuit. His clothes got more of it than he did. He also likes to chew on frozen celery sticks. We were desperate and they worked!

I'd wait on the cereal and check on the solids forum here.

Good luck,
    Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

To "Mommie of 2", Deep East Texas is basically in the middle of nowhere. My town is about 70 miles north of Beaumont in the middle of three state forests. We are about a 4 hour drive south east of the Dallas metroplex. This section of Texas is at least a 12 hour drive from Donna. Donna is in south Texas. I don't blame your grandfather for summering in Minnesota! It gets hot and humid where he lives!

My baby was a big one, too (10 pounds 12 ounces) and he would eat all night long. I think sometimes big babies just need more food. I bf him exclusively until he was over 7 months old, and he thrived, just as yours is. I just had to learn to sleep when I could. It does get better! And, now that he's older and not getting up as much (at 15 months he still gets up a few times, though) I must admit I kind of miss those times with him.

As for the people giving you unwanted advice: you don't have to say anything to them unless you really want to. You're not going to change their minds and you know that you are doing what is best for your baby and that the advice they're giving you is unfounded. I become really "busy" when someone starts offering tips to me!

Smile Re: Live in small community...

Quote Originally Posted by jenn123 View Post

As far as ignorant people, hey, there's not much you can say, but if you happen to be in a community of God-fearing folks, you could always say that what the Lord provided can't be beat!!!!

Jenn

I Love It! I live in the Bible Belt of the South so I will put this line to good use!!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk