Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about baby led approach

Default question about baby led approach

DS is 6 months old. I started him on solids last week. We began with sweet potatoes and then bananas. My question...when I put the food on his high chair tray, he doesn't really seem interested in the food. However, when I feed him, he'll eat. Is this a sign that he isn't really ready for solids? I was hoping he would play with the food and try to feed himself. Am I just expecting too much this early on?

TIA

Default Re: question about baby led approach

I know others will definitely chime in on this, but lemme just give my 2 cents...

6 months is when baby is developmentally ready (generally) to digest more than just breastmilk, but it doesn't mean he's going to take to bananas like a fish to water. At this stage, it's just about checking out how the banana feels, if it squishes or cracks, can you spread it around? more than how the banana tastes. At 8.5 months, Kesiah still only really feeds herself cheerios and crackers with any gusto. Things that are squishy or wet, like oatmeal, bananas, avocado, she prefers to poke with one extended index finger, like she's afraid she might get some on her If I eat some of whatever the offensive food is, then she might deign to eat some of it

I mentioned this in a previous thread, so sorry about the repeat, but if Kesiah is knocking herself out to have some of what's on my plate and it's a food that's ok for her to have, I'll give her a spoonful and let her feed herself or give her a bite, myself. IMHO, this is still baby-led, even though we're using a spoon

We started it at 6 months too. In the beginning she did a lot of smashing and smearing, then moved on to picking it up and squishing it and dropping it to the floor. She maybe ate 1 or 2 bites. I would show her how to do it and she would laugh and I would think, "what a waste of cooking and food." but I am glad we have taken this approach because she is now starting to get it and we have shoved food down her. We have allowed her to eat if she wanted and to experiment with textures. Continue to show your little one what to do and even hand him a piece instead of laying it down. He will eat soon enough.

I was always told that when baby sees you eating and is reaching for the stuff on your plate is when he/she is truly ready for food. Not all babies start solids at 6 months. My daughter didn't start until almost 9 months.

At 8.5 months, Kesiah still only really feeds herself cheerios and crackers with any gusto. Things that are squishy or wet, like oatmeal, bananas, avocado, she prefers to poke with one extended index finger, like she's afraid she might get some on her If I eat some of whatever the offensive food is, then she might deign to eat some of it
    Mia is the same age and that is exactly how she is!!!

I was always told that when baby sees you eating and is reaching for the stuff on your plate is when he/she is truly ready for food. Not all babies start solids at 6 months. My daughter didn't start until almost 9 months.
    And some babies may grab for food much earlier than they are ready. My DD grabbed for my plate and food at 3 months. She was definately not ready.
    Last edited by Mia'sMom; December 27th, 2006 at 03:52 PM.

I would say if baby isn't bringing food to his own mouth, he's not ready. Just try again next week and if no interest, try again the week after that. It was almost 4 weeks after we decided DJ was ready that HE decided it was time to explore. And by ready I mean he picked the watermelon up, put it in his own mouth, made a face and put it BACK in his own mouth. The idea behind child led solids is that if left to their own accord, child's hand motor skills developmentally will match mouth motor skills. Desire of course must also be there. If he doesn't yet have any interest in putting food in his own mouth, I'd say revisit it next week. No rush. We know he's getting all the good stuff from Mama!

Way too lazy for formula