Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't take bottle, sippy or cup

Default Won't take bottle, sippy or cup

My almost 12 month old son refuses to take anything other than water from his sippy cup. I've tried formula, and milk, in the sippy and in a bottle, both cold and warm and he simply refuses to take it.

He eats three big solid food meals a day, and a couple snacks. Can I still wean him without replacing the nursings with a milk substitute as long as he gets lots of cheese and yoghurt and nutrients??
    First time Mommy to Alexander - Born Jan 15, 2006

Default Re: Won't take bottle, sippy or cup

My DD completely refused cow milk until we were close to being weaned at about 16 months. At that point, we were down to only a couple of nursings per day. As long as you give other calcium rich products, it shouldn't be an issue.

yup! My dd is 3 and she only drinks about 4 oz of cows milk every few days.
    She doesn't ask for it every day.
    Cows milk was made for baby cows.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk
    from that link:

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

Don't worry too much.....My DS wouldn't take more than an ounce or two of cows milk from a sippy until he was weaned. And, of course, there's nothing that says you need to feed cows milk. There's lots of ways to get calcium into your child!

Lisa