Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latching problem?

Default latching problem?

My son is 6.5 weeks old and although he is gaining well, no soreness in my nipples, he has a problem with spitting up and gasiness. At first I thought I had an overactive let-down and my son was getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. While that might have been the case because he was having mostly green diapers, he now has mostly yellow diapers with 0-1 at night. He still is gassy at times and spits up when I breastfeed him, but not when my husband gives him a bottle when I am at work. Because the problem with the spitting up only comes when I am home I think that his latch is not correct, but efficient enough to get milk from me. He was tongue tied at birth and it was corrected right away, but the pediatrician said his tongue was short and he would have latching problems and possibly speech problems later. When he is nursing, sometimes I can hear a sucking sound like he does not have a good seal around my nipple and he is sucking in air along with milk. No matter what I cannot get him to get a good seal. Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like I have tried everything. While he does not mind so much spitting up, he does mind having wet clothes and I mind doing laundry all the time in order to keep him in dry ones!

Default Re: latching problem?

Have you tried different nursing positions? I'm not sure why, but I have the feeling that the football hold, for example, promotes a deeper latch than other positions (but that may be unique to my own breast shape etc.)

It's difficult to advise about latch and positioning, beyond general information, without a face-to-face consult. Would you consider contacting an IBCLC or a LLL Leader for evaluation and guidance?

--Rebecca

Default Re: latching problem?

I am planning on going to a LLL meeting on Tuesday and asking that very question! I just thought I would get some thoughts before then. I had tried different holds a while back, but will revisit some this afternoon when I get home from work.