Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what replaces breatmilk after weaning?

Default what replaces breatmilk after weaning?

hi everyone. i plan to nurse my daughter till age 2. she is now 9 months old but i am wondering what i would give her after we wean. i don't like the idea of cow's or soy milk. any opinions? thanks.

Default Re: what replaces breatmilk after weaning?

Most people I know use rice milk. Goats milk is awesome if it's fresh and cold.

Sicne you're nursing her until she's two, she won't "need" any milk at all. There are entire cultures of people in the world who don't drink any kind of milk after they are weaned. I myelf don't drink milk (because I hate the taste), but I do have some milk on cereal and in other foods and I eat yogurt and cheese. Milk is just a convienient source of protein, fat, and calcuim, all things you can get from other food sources.

We don't really do milk. My son has rice milk and/or almond milk if he is having something like cereal that he wants "milk" with. He rarely drinks even a milk substitute just straight. A big treat around here is chocolate almond milk!

He does have cheese and yogurt (organic), and he does not like soy yogurt at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    Sicne you're nursing her until she's two, she won't "need" any milk at all.
    I agree with this. Water is a great choice, as are freshly squeezed juices (in moderation). If we are talking what to put in things like cereal, we personally use rice milk, but many children do not enjoy drinking milk straight out of a cup, especially if they were breastfed, they often don't associate nursing with "milk", if that makes any sense.

There are many non-dairy alternatives to calcium and proten, too, but dairy is convenient, it's true.