Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting cereal

Default starting cereal

My LO is 4 months & is ready for cereal (based on cues & pediatrician). I was wondering how some of you introduced it. My Ped recommended bottle, but, my LO only takes an occasional bottle of breast milk. She has good head control and acts like she would love to sit up. I was going to try spoon w/ the cereal mixed thin. But, I was just curious about when I should do it. AM or PM, between nursing...?? Any suggestions?

Default Re: starting cereal

I wouldn't recommend giving it with a bottle. I've read somewhere that they may inhale the cereal that way which causes respiratory problems. Plus, the whole point of giving the cereal is introducing solids so that babies get used to eating different textures with a spoon.
    The best time to introduce it would be when your LO is most hungry. Mine gets very hungry just before he goes to bed in the evening so I give it to him late afternoon.

heres a link to what lll recomends with starting solids.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

most things that are written on starting solids were written for babies that are on formula. Your breastmilk is realy the best food for baby up untill baby is about a year old.

here is a good link to explore about delaying solid foods untill baby is ready.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

I've read/heard that you should give baby first solids when they aren't hungry (since when they're hungry, it might just end up being a frustrating, upsetting experience for everyone, and they're not eating the solids to satisfy hunger, but just for the experience). I started my baby on solids for the first time a few days ago. I have him a few spoonfuls of banana mushed with breastmilk after his first breastfeeding session of the morning, and he did great. He look confused at first, but then gulped it all down.

I started my 4 month on cereal with a baby spoon. I fed it to her thin-thicker now that she is used to it. I sometimes put it in a sippy cup and let her suck it out. Now I spoon feed it to her and put some in her sippy cup for her to drink. The Nuby sippy cup has a soft silicone spout and works well. My lo was always lundging at everything I ate or drank. She absolutly loves her cereal. The first time I gave it to her, she just smiled. Good Luck. Oh, I always give it to her after I nurse her, not just alone. She still eats well.

I am surprised that a DR. would recommend baby cereal in a bottle. I would just make it real thin almost like milk and spoon feed it. I know my boys were sitting up in thier high chairs since 4 months...and they too want to join in when we are sitting at the table. They have been sitting with us for a month now so I am thinking of starting solids too. I might just start with rice cereal and bananas. Good luck and keep us updated.

I know some of the previous posts included links regarding delaying solids, but as far as I know they are all to LLL sources. I just wanted to jump in and say that most everything I have read since having my baby indicates that you should wait to start solids until 6 months. The American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Breastfeeding recommends waiting, and I know that most pediatricians who are up on current research would concur. My 6-month-old daughter has been sitting up for a month and is very active and ready to start solids, but I know that breastmilk is the best thing for her for as long as possible. I am waiting to start her with some "fun" solids until after the first of the year. You also may want to consider starting with something other than cereal. I DEFINITELY would not put the cereal in the bottle because there is a risk of aspiration of the cereal into the lungs, leading to pheumonia and respiratory infections (per my brother-in-law, who is a family practice doc with his own practice).