Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby crying during feeding . . . help

Default baby crying during feeding . . . help

My 3 and a half week daughter has started having problems with breastfeeding. She somtimes coughs or gags during feeding and we have adjusted positions and only feed on one breast during the feeding. This has helped,

Over the last two days,things have changed, She has started becoming restless during the feedings (moving her arms and legs and head), sometimes letting go of the nipple. Then, about 3-5 minutes into the feeding, she starts crying. Then it is very hard to get her back on that breast for more than a minute. Sometimes I will switch to the other breast and sometimes she will start feeding again, but often just cries,

I have milk left in the breast because I can express some after she has let go.

Is this a sign of reflux? She has been very fussy at night and makes lots of grunting noises when she is in her crib at night.

What is making her so unhappy?? Help!!

Thanks,
    Meredith

Default Re: baby crying during feeding . . . help

I forgot to add that we have been giving her a pacifier on the advice of the LC to satisfy her sucking needs. I am concerned that this is causing her problems with feeding.

--Meredith

Default Re: baby crying during feeding . . . help

hi there!
    My first thought is that your baby may be reacting to oald. If the milk just sprays down their throat they can start gagging and coughing ect. I have heard many women say that they let some of the milk out onto a burp cloth, and once it slows down they re-latch BB. It can be frusterating to be a baby that is for sure. Since I don't have an infant with reflux I will hold my piece about that- perhaps someone else will respond as far as that is concerned.
    The kicking and wiggling i now attribute to gas in my own ds; someone suggested Mylicon drops to me and I have found them effective. They are safe for babies and you can find them in walgreens or riteaid. In general babies seem to be gassy little things despite lots of burping ect. I think some of what you are experiencing is par for the course.

The passi may indeed be causing problems. Try feeding her when she needs to suck, babies go through a growth spurt at around 3 weeks and that may be some of the increased demand you are sensing. In order for your body to know to produce more milk, it must first recieve the signals from your bb. My personal suggestion is to use care with a passi; maybe even just lose it altogether! good luck.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; December 26th, 2006 at 05:55 PM.

Question Re: baby crying during feeding . . . help

You are not alone. I am having the same problem. My son is 3 and 1/2 weeks too. I have the spitting up also, not all the time but sometimes. I have just tried swaddling tightly and placing in the swing. This seems to be working now. I have even tried expressing breast milk into dr Browns bottle and feeding. I know my let down is like and explosion so I have to pump for now, then he latches when it has relaxed.

His most fussiness is at night. How about you?