Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pulling away and crying?

Default pulling away and crying?

I'm a day away from finding a lactation consultant. I thought I would come here first to get feedback from several individuals. Sorry in advance for the long thread.

My dd is now 10 weeks old. I started having a hard time BF about a month ago. She was pulling away from my breast, arching her back, and crying. I spoke to the pediatrician, and he suggested she may have an acid reflux problem. He gave me a prescription for Zantac (tastes absolutely horrible), and I've been forcing it down her ever since. It helped some, but we're still having problems at least once a day. I went in for her checkup/shots last week, and the pediatrician is now suggesting that I may not be making enough milk for her. He believes I should try giving her a bottle if she's crying a lot after trying to feed her, and see if that quiets her. I don't want to start supplementing if I don't have to and I don't get enough from pumping to do that regularly. She usually eats for 15-20 minutes, every 2-3 hours. Here are my main issues:

1. Pulling away and crying. Sometimes it's 3 minutes into feeding, and other times it's 20 minutes into feeding. She gets VERY upset, and it's been happening at least once a day. Is she done nursing or not wanting to? Is she not getting enough? Is it not coming fast enough? I really don't know.

2. Does not like to BF on my left breast. I start her on that side, and try to make her finish on that side. It's a struggle to get her to eat on that side at all.

3. I can't tell when my milk lets down. Everyone tells me that they can feel it, and that milk just gushes out. I can't tell a difference at all, and I've never had it gush out ever. Could this be my problem?

4. When I pump, I can only get 1 to 1 1/2 oz at a time. I try pumping in between feedings a few times a week just in case my husband needs to feed our dd or we want to go out somewhere. It takes two tries to get enough for one bottle. Is this a sign I don't produce enough milk?

I appreciate all the help and suggestions!!

Default Re: pulling away and crying?

Hi, I think what you may be experiencing is your baby having Gas. My dd is two months almost three now and she does that often. It is my rght breast she starts a feeding and like about three minutes into it she pulls herself off only because of an overactive let down which causes her to take in air while she is trying to catch her breath from all the milk that is being forced out into her mouth. I would try to burp her when your dd pulls off the try again on that side. Hope this helps. It helped with my dd.

Is your daughter gaining well? How is her diaper output?

I know that her unhappiness while nursing must be terribly upsetting, but you shouldn't rush to assume that this indicates a milk supply problem. The best indicator of milk intake will always be diaper output and growth.

A lot of things could be causing her to pull off and cry like this. Read http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html and see what sounds possible, and work from there.

It's not unusual for babies to prefer one breast over another. I think the kellymom.com link above addresses this scenario.

It's also not unusual for you to have letdowns without a noticeable sensation, and without milk spurting everywhere. This does not indicate a supply problem.

Your pumping output sounds fine to me, especially since these are between-feedings pumping sessions. Pumps are not as efficient as babies at draining breasts, and so your output at the pump is not a good indicator of your milk supply.

What was your pediatrician's basis for suggesting low milk supply? Doctors don't always know a lot about breastfeeding. Was this based on her weight gain since her previous check-up? Tell us more about that.

--Rebecca

Thanks for the replies! She has been gaining weight fine according to our doctor. She was 7lbs 10 oz at birth, and weighed in at 10 lbs 1 oz last week. She has lots of wet diapers during the day, at least 7 or more. She only has a dirty one every 2-3 days, but I was told that was normal. I'm not really sure why the doctor suggested that she may not be getting enough. I think he was just trying to find a solution to the fussiness.

I've cut out caffiene completely now to see if it helps some. I have been drinking at least 8-10 glasses of water a day and also trying to keep my diet pretty bland. The possibility of gas occured to me, and I give her gas drops a couple times a day. Most of the time she screams when I pick her up and try to burp her in the middle of a feeding. I can hardly get her calmed down at the end to burp.

I guess I don't need to add that this is my first baby. I'm just trying to get things figured out so she's happier and getting her needs met. Thanks again!

Your little one sounds like she's gaining great so I wouldn't worry too much. In my experience, docs are quick to suggest "easier" solutions for the mom & baby and a lot of them seem to think that supplementing is easy. As far as the fussiness goes, I was having some issues like that when my DD was about 6 weeks old. I ended up contacting our local LLL and they had a meeting the next day that I went to. Apparently, in my haste to get DD latched on I was not pulling her in close enough so we had a very shallow latch, leading to lots of gas. (This was also causing slightly sore nipples.) A slight change in position and our problems were over! So, I suggest that you either contact a LLL Leader for more info or contact a lactation consultant. Do it ASAP so that they can help you correct any issues. Good luck!

Beth
    Mom to Sophie (3) and Bella (5 mos)