Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suggestions for long plane trip?

Default Suggestions for long plane trip?

Hello! My husband will be traveling to California for work within the next month and is wanting dd and I to travel with him. I am trying to decide if it's worth exposing dd to all of the germs on an airplane but am also a little concerned with how breastfeeding will work on such a long flight (we live in Indiana). If we decide to accompany him, does anyone out there have any suggestions for traveling while breastfeeding? Anyone know how airlines handle the nursing mother? Should I just feed her in my seat or try to get to the bathroom to nurse her? I'm not one who has ANY experience with breastfeeding in public so I haven't the faintest idea about how to do this discreetly.

Thanks!

Amber

Default Re: Suggestions for long plane trip?

Just bf her in your seat. If she'll allow it and if it makes you more comfortable, put a blanket over your shoulder.

You can practice for NIP at home by bfing her in front of a mirror. It's not really that hard to be discrete; just keep her head and your shirt over most of your breast, and you be surprised that most people wouldn't even be able to tell you're nursing her!

There was a thread about nursing an older baby on a long flight on the Dealing with Criticism board:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...read.php?t=793

If you have any questions after reading that thread, let us know. I hope you have a great trip -- IME, traveling is when you really appreciate breastfeeding's convenience.

--Rebecca

I have three children all have been bf, all have been on plane trips starting at 3 months, TX to NY, so pretty long ones. I have quite often flown by myself with one/two of them (#3 is only 6 months and only been on one trip). NO ONE has ever said a word about my bf on the plane. I sit in my seat and feed on take off and landing, most of the time when they were young they were on the whole trip. The hard part is trying to read with one hand!! I have a little nursing shawl that I made, you can buy them too. Or I wear a cartigan sweater that "hides" what I am doing a little more as they got older and didn't want the shawl on. Most babies want to nurse on take off and landings, it really helps their little ears. Mine tended to nurse when their ears hurt and stop when they didn't the whole trip, very peaceful fliers. I have often gotten complents on how well behaved my children are on the plane and how no one heared them screaming. As far as choosing a seat, I perfer the aisle with the nursing one, so they can stretch out a little into the aisle if need be, but that is all personal preference. Good Luck and enjoy!!

Thanks to all for your suggestions!! I REALLY appreciate it. We're really anxious about the possibility of flying as this would be mine and DH's first plane trip on top of taking DD. I know it's hard to believe that we're 26 and have never flown!!

Thanks again!!

Amber

That's okay, everyone is a little more nervous about flying these days, but it is one of the safest modes of transpartation. Good luck.

Get a Hooter Hider!!!!! I just returned from flying from Indiana to Florida and my hooter hider made nursing in my seat a breeze! They're light weight, have a strap that goes around your neck so that you don't have to worry about the blanket falling, and it has a band in it that makes an arch so that you can see your baby while he/she is nursing!
    http://www.babybellausa.com/Nursing.html

take some clothes pins and a blanket and make a "tent" around your seat.
    I would just feed the baby and not care. odds are that 1 you will never see any of thoose people again and 2 they will not know what you are doing anyways. Have your hubby sit in the isle seat sideways untill you get settled in.
    good luck!

I agree with above posts. I flew with my daughter when she was 9w, without my husband. It went fine. Nursed on takeoff and landing- she was happy the whole time. People around you would much rather that you nurse discreetly than listen to a crying baby. I put a blanket over us and nobody could see anything. I also wore a shirt that i have found very convenient for breastfeeding - it is stretchy and has a crossover bodice so all i have to do is pull one side aside and everything else remains covered - it is actually a maternity top from Gap but i have found it great for nursing. I sat in the window seat both ways which was comfortable and discreet, but if you think you are going to need to get up a bunch, then you might want an aisle. Have fun!

Amber,
    I flew with my baby from Germany to the US, taking two flights each direction, and about 24 hours total in travel time. He was 5 months when we left and 8 months when we returned. I nursed him when he was hungry and he was just fine. All things considered, as long as you are discrete, no one will have a problem with it. I DONT suggest going to the restroom to nurse. Sit comfortably in your seat and take care of your baby. The restrooms are so dirty on a plane and harbor an astronomical amount of bacteria and I would recommend keeping the baby out of there. Looks like you are flying from IN to CA and the flight should be only about 4 hours or so. I would just change your baby before you board and then wait until you land to change your baby again (unless of course it is very neccessary to change during the flight). But if the changing can't wait, the bathrooms have a changing table that folds down over the seat. Good luck.