Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preemie, pump, engorgement!

Default Preemie, pump, engorgement!

Hi everyone,

My son was born 8 weeks early and came home after 6 weeks. He is a great breastfeeder with a nipple shield, and for now we've been told he needs 2 bottles a day mixed with fortifier (hope to get rid of those soon, he's gaining weight fine.) So he's about full term now. I have a freezer full of expressed milk.

My problem is that I don't know how I am going to stop pumping without engorgement being a problem. I have already had mastitis once- I hope that was more related to exhaustion from all the hospital trips, but I sure don't want it again. The amount he eats at a feeding varies pretty widely, and I never know how long he'll wait between feedings. The lactation people from the hospital said I should be able to cut back to pumping every other feeding, then cut it out all together. So far, that isn't working out- I'm just a crazy milk factory.

I'd also like to know how to go about weaning from the nipple shield- right now he's often so ravenous that he won't open his mouth wide and screams in frustration if I don't get that nipple in his mouth right away. Sometimes he'll latch on a little after a feeding a take a bit of a snack without the shield, but when he's hungry I don't know how to not use it.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help. I'm so glad this resource is here.

--M. M.

Default Re: Preemie, pump, engorgement!

Congratulations on your great work!

In terms of weaning off the nipple shields, if they are working I wouldn't be in a huge hurry to wean from them. They make extracting milk much easier for a little baby. The first step in weaning from them, from what you describe, is anticipating his hunger and not letting him be frantically hungry before you offer him nursing. I would put him on an every two hour, if not sooner, schedule and see if you can get him nursing calmly. Make sure he isn't tiring too quickly though. It is more work to nurse without the nipple shields.

On the pumping, try nursing for fewer minutes each time, before you reduce the frequency of pumping. Try to get your output at the pump per session down. Cold compresses to help the engorgement will hopefully help as well.

I haven't needed to wean from the pump this time, but I remember that stage with my third daughter and it was really painful and uncomfortable. Vitamin C and lecithin can be very helpful to some women in preventing mastitis as well. Take the weaning slowly.

Congratulations on your baby coming home and getting to the breast!

Liba

I can't speak to the pumping issue because my supply tends to be low rather than high.

However, about the nipple shield, don't worry about it. It's more of a convenience thing for me when it comes to wanting to get rid of it, but since he's still happy and nursing well, and his latch without it isn't that great, it's doing more good than harm. Yes, I'd love to not have to carry them around with me and make sure I have a clean one and try not to lose them, etc., but I'd also rather he be fed and happy. My LO was 5 weeks early and is 3 mo today. I'm sure he'll stop using the shields eventually.

Hi! I still pump fairly often, at least twice a day on the weekends, and 4 times a day during the week. It helps to empty me and keep my supply up. I would keep going because you can never have too much! Freeze it, it keeps for a long time. As for the shields, I never used them. I would quit using them if I were you because they can reduce your supply. Make sure your baby opens his mouth really wide and stuff your nipple in his mouth. It also helps if your nipple is hard. It might take him a day or so the figure it out but he will, it's instinct. My baby girl still doesn't empty the breast but she will one day so thats why I still pump.

Thanks for all your comments, everyone. I'll try the suggestions that seem right to me. :-)

BTW, just so you know, every LC I have spoken with has told me not to worry about using the shields. The new silicone ones (very thin and see-through) are not the hazard to supply that the older versions were. In fact, I spoke with an LC last night to get her thoughts, and she said that when my DS is ready to nurse without it, he will. So just keep trying to take it away and see how it goes. Eventually, it will work just fine without it. Babies change almost every day... HTH!

Congrats!!! I know about being a milk factory, my daughter was 6 weeks early, freezer full of ebm, etc.... I have never been able to stop pumping, though, I only pump once a day now first thing in the morning (after 8-10 hours of no nursing) on one side while she nurses on the other. I am a milk donor (average 100 oz a month), what the milk bank will not take (due to I was sick, took some tylenol, etc...) my sis gets some for my neice to supplement her with and I use it to mix with my daughters food. Got Milk? LOL

The nipple shield.....well, to get a popular myth out of the way that it hurts milk production, read above. My daughter would NEVER latch on with out it (I have flat nipples, the OT in the NICU gave us the shield and she's latched on ever since). She is now almost 15 months old and still uses it for every nursing session (she still nurses like a baby also, 8-12 times daily). We attempted weaning from the shield and was having luck with it, but every time we were getting there, she landed back into the hospital (for other reasons, not from weaning of the shield) and would not latch on without it there, so back to it we went. I have come to accept the fact in a short time I will have a walking toddler that will hand it to me before she wants to nurse.

Congrats again on your bundle of joy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
    I have come to accept the fact in a short time I will have a walking toddler that will hand it to me before she wants to nurse.
    I'm sorry... I had to let you know how hard I choked at that one. Because I can totally picture my DS doing it to me in a year. Oh, Lord...

Quote Originally Posted by ladypembroke View Post
    I'm sorry... I had to let you know how hard I choked at that one. Because I can totally picture my DS doing it to me in a year. Oh, Lord...
    My DD will be 15 months old on 1/11/07, she just looks at me now with the naked nipple, like "Where's the sheild mom?" She will not even attempt to latch on without it and if she does, it's to bite me
    It's worked for us, I hate it due to I have to keep up with the stupid thing, I keep it wrapped up in a washcloth between my breast in my bra (so I don't forget where it's at and won't leave it at home), she will reach in and grab it when she's ready to nurse. I do love it because it has allowed her to nurse (which I believe would of happened anyway.....but this made it easier for her at first).....

To wean from the pump, you could start decreasing the total number of minutes you pump. This is a little slower process that stopping one session at a time, but it also gives your milk producing cells enough time to catch up and get the message to slow down the production line.

This is a great (non-LLL) resource regarding weaning from the shield:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html