Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby's Constipation

Default Re: Baby's Constipation

Great to hear she's not on solids yet! No reason to rush into those as she's not even 6 mo yet.

How often is she nursing and for how long? How many wet diapers does she make in 24 hrs?

Kiwi is probably not the best food to be giving to a 4 month old baby without discussing it first with a doctor. And I doubt that mom eating it would have any sort of effect on baby's bowels since our breastmilk is made from what's in our blood, not what is in our stomach's. Of course, mom could always try eating it as it probably can't hurt.

If your baby is exclusively breastfed - and by that I mean she gets nothing other than breastmilk (no vitamins, no water), then it's very unusual for her to be constipated and it's really something that needs to be addressed with the baby's physician.

Best of luck sorting this out! I have a child who suffers from chronic constipation (he's now 6 and has bee suffering since he was about 1) and I can attest to how frustrating and disheartening it all is!
    Last edited by LLLCarol; March 8th, 2006 at 11:56 AM.

How many times per 24 hours does your baby nurse? How many wet diapers is she having per day? Is the urine clear or dark?

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie
    How many times per 24 hours does your baby nurse? How many wet diapers is she having per day? Is the urine clear or dark?
    Yes, we need to know the answers to these questions before we can be of much help.

Hi and thanks for all the replies! She is SO much better now, of course b/c of the glycerine suppository and I hope she doesn't have constipation again.

Last weekend when she was constipated she was having 3-4 wet diapers but was still nursing as usual. She normally has about 6-8 wet diapers a day (which she's back to having now) and I nurse her 6-7 times a day, 12-15 mins on each breast. She doesn't get anything other than my milk either.

The only thing I can think of is that I've been eating too much dairy lately? And definitely not a lot of juice (I'm not a fan of citruses but if it may help I'll dig in and drink lots!) End of last week I ate some chocolate cake (ok not some, but a lot) and I know I get constipated when I eat too much chocolate.

Yeah, I'm definitely not giving her kiwi yet, lol, she's only 4 mos old and her dr said she would 6 mos before giving her any solids, but I'm wondering if I should incorporate more fruits into my diet.

Any other foods I should stay away from to prevent constipation? Any other foods I should eat? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ellasmama
    Last weekend when she was constipated she was having 3-4 wet diapers but was still nursing as usual. She normally has about 6-8 wet diapers a day (which she's back to having now) and I nurse her 6-7 times a day, 12-15 mins on each breast. She doesn't get anything other than my milk either.
    Is this nursing schedual set by her?

6-7 time a day is really the bare minimum for her age; could you try offering a little more often? Breastmilk is the very best thing to avoid and treat constipation in a baby, so nursing her as often as possible (especally if she begins to show any sings of constipation or if her diaper count goes below 6 agian) is the very best thing for her.

It could be the diary in your diet; if you find cutting out dairy seems to help her, then that's probably a good idea.

Thank you for the advice! The schedule is set more by her and I just try to follow it to keep her days somewhat similar, I will definitely nurse her more, why I didn't think of that (nor her dr!) who knows. I think I'll also try the less dairy too. Thanks!!

My daughter also has some constipation problems. She was put on Poly -Vi-Sol vitamin drops on the first of this month. Since she was put on them she has not been having her regular poops. She usually has yellow mustardy poops but today , the first time she has had one, was green and almost brown, what can i do to help her not be constipated? Any advice would help.

what can i do to help her not be constipated?
    I don't know how old your daughter is but as a rule, breastfed babies do not require supplemental vitamins. Here's some more information for you: Should My Breastfed Baby Be Receiving Vitamin or Fluoride Supplements?

Mother's milk is the *perfect* food for babies!

Kiwi is really good for constipation, but yes, can be quite allergenic for some.
    Is she constipated, as in hard dry , painful to pass poop?
    Or is she just not going as frequently, but poo shape/colour/consistency is ok?

Beth B.
    Mom of 2