Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby's Constipation

Default Baby's Constipation

Is there a food I could add, or eat more of, in my diet to reduce my baby's constipation? I've been eating fiber cereal every morning but not sure if that will help. Thank you for any advice!
    P.S. My dd is 4 mos old, not on solids yet.

Default Re: Baby's Constipation

Can you tell us why you believe your baby is constipated? Does baby have hard, pellet-like stools or does she just not poop very often?

Oops, sorry! I meant to include that, her stools are dry and hard, and it seems quite uncomfortable for her to pass them. Thanks for any info!

I also wanted to add that her dr gave her a suppository today but for the future I'd like to try a more natural approach so she won't have to have them.

Does she get anything at all other than breastmilk? Any formula, juice, vitamins?

How often does she nurse and for how long? How many wet diapers does she make in 24 hours? Does she seem alert and happy while she's awake? How long does she sleep at night and for naps?

I had to have her strictly on formula for a few weeks b/c of a food allergy but she's been exclusively breastfeeding for almost a month now. This constipation just started last weekend until I took her to her dr yesterday. She naps 3x day and sleep 10-12 hrs at night. She's usually happy but b/c of her constipation the past few days she's been fussy. I'm trying to think if I've eaten anything out of the ordinary but I don't think I have. I'm hoping there's something I can add to my diet, i.e. more fiber, so she doesn't have to have that glycerin suppository. I've thought about getting more magnesium in my diet since I've read that it can stimulate the bowels, maybe I should be drinking more water (I have about 8 glasses a day)...any other ideas to prevent in the future?

Try this:
    2 kiwi with water first in the am (on an empty stomach).
    It works great

Good luck

Check out my new thread called "Kiwi" on the allergy forum, especially if she has allergies! I have not read above, sorry, have you tried to give her some baby food prunes?

I will try the kiwi thing, but do I take it or baby? I figure it would work if I did it, dd's not on solids yet (4 mos old)

Thank you for the ideas!

im not sure if it will help constipation but i find when i eat or drink alot of citrus my baby has lots oof runny mustard poops.
    give it a try citrus is a natural laxitive