Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friend who didn't give breastfeeding a chance

Default Friend who didn't give breastfeeding a chance

I was catching up with a friend that I haven't talk to in some time and she mentioned how before she delivered she decided her baby would only be forumula fed. She went on to say that she wanted to involve her husband from the beginning so she felt formula feeding was the best way to go. I wanted to say a lot but I held back since I didn't want to come across as a breastfeeding promoter esp. since her child is already one.

I know breastfeeding is not for everyone so it's not fair for me to be judgemental, but I thought to myself what not even give it a try?

I find that many women who decide not to breastfeed never read up on the subject throughout their preganancy, so they come out with comments that don't hold much truth..like my baby needed more milk than my body could make so formula was my only option.

I'm not saying breastfeeding is an easy job, but I feel it's a topic worth reading up on during pregnancy and one worth trying.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Friend who didn't give breastfeeding a chance

There's a lengthy thread somewhere else (I think Around the Refreshment Table) that talks about this topic. Some really interesting responses. I do feel the same way that you do, but some people also have issues with their breasts being used as nature intended. My SIL decided beforehand that she would formula-feed too, and I supported her 100%. She wasn't misinformed, but just couldn't get over the sexual nature of her breasts. That's OK too. I guess I should count myself lucky that I didn't have those issues and that I was able to successfully breastfeed all three of my kids (even if I only made it one week with the twins.)

Why wouldn't you want to come across as a "Breastfeeding Promoter"???

Way too lazy for formula

I don't think she ment that in a baby way...
    her 1st isn't born yet.
    It's hard to know what to say when you haven't even had a baby yet, to other moms.
    My sil didn't breastfeed because she wanted to go out and be able to smoke dope and drink right after the baby was born.
    That's about as selfish as you can get, but she didn't see anything wrong with it. And was happy that she didn't try to nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Why wouldn't you want to come across as a "Breastfeeding Promoter"???
    I think she meant to say that she didnt want the other mother to clam up. LOL.. I have that problem. I talk alot before I think and sometimes I mention breastfeeding to a non bf mom and that makes alot of tension between us.

It's Sad To Think When A Mom To Be Doesn't Think Of Bfing As A Way For A Dad To Be Involved With The Feedings. The Minute I Found Out I Was Pregnant I Knew I Would Bf. Although I Didnt Realize How Much Of A Challenge It Would Be, It Didnt Stop Me From Cont As I Knew It Would Be Very Important For My Dd.

I Haven't Had Any Encounters Yet In Regards To Mom To Be Or Anybody Really Who Only Thought 'i'll Ff' Dh Suggested It When Times Werent As Easy As He Thought It Would Be. I Think It Would Be A Difficult Situation To Bring Up With Someone Who Doesn't See How Bf Can Be A Wonderful Time For Mom/baby.

It's Also Sad To Think That In This Day We Live People Want Easy [ff] And Not What's Best For Baby When It Comes To Feedings. When I Here Of A Mom To Be, I'll Ask What's The Feeding Going To Be, When I Hear Bf I Talk To Them About Attn The Meetings, The Forum, Taking Classes, And Asking For Help When Times Are Rough. I Know There Are Times When There Is No Other Choices But To Ff But More People Need To Give Bf A Chance, It's What Our Breast Are There For!!
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

i have a cousin who is 10 years younger than i who had a baby three weeks after me. she started breastfeeding and stopped after a few weeks because she was frustrated. the baby had a malformation of her toungue that the doctors have since corrected which had caused most of her problems. when i realized that she was letting her milk dry up, i shed a tear for her and her baby. i understand what you had written about not wanting to come across to strongly on the side of breast feeding and against a person you care about. there have been times when i have talked to my cousin where i have stopped myself, afraid of coming across as harrassing. i have tried to fill her with information and encouragement instead of just trying to tell her what she should do.

it is true that you don't have a baby you can't talk about it.
    When i found that i was pregnant i visited this forum and every day i was informing myself about what is going to happen and i was so fanatic with BFing talking with strenth about it. When Lydia was born in August i realised that BF was sooooo difficult. A full time job and perhaps more and to be honest at the beginning i wasn't enjoying it not even my baby. I was so determined to BF and to be honest i was feeling that if i stop i would feel so shame after all this propaganda i made before. Now Lydia is 4 and she's BF even though i had inverted nipples, mastitis, and almost full time job and she takes EBM by bottle.
    I can 'understant' every mother's decision but i'm furious if there's not an education or information about it. Generally in Greece 70% give formula and that starts from the clinic. Everybody says BF is good but nobody is well informed to help you. Thanks God i found LaLeche and 2 wonderful paediatricians.

athena
    I'm glad to see you back I wondered how you were doing!
    I bet your baby is getting big!

Oh yes she is. She was 6.370 kg last week. She's a quite good nurser but really good sleeper!!