Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: oh no-weaned to the pacifier!

Default oh no-weaned to the pacifier!

So we weaned 10 days ago and now Jackson is OBSESSED with his pacifier. He used to have it only in his crib or if we were out and about and he got upset. I'd like to wean him from the paci after the holidays and after we move in January. He's too little for a paci party...

Any ideas?

Default Re: oh no-weaned to the pacifier!

Oh that is a hard one. In the book How Weaning Happens it talks about you have to replace nursing with some thing just as " special" now, I am not saying that the paci is just as special as nursing but it sounds like to me that he still has a great need to suck. This is very common in children well into the second and third year. Weaning is a big deal for these little ones so I do not know if I would worry so much about the paci right now.... maybe after things settle down with the holidays you can encourage him to only take it at nap time and bedtime. But if he resists too much I would take it as a sign that he is just not ready....Over the big scheme of things the paci really is not that big of a deal. I have a friend who has twins that just turned three and they still have it at nap and bedtime..

I had one that didn't give up the pacifier untill he was about 4.When his little sister was born he was only 2 and weaned.
    Now after 2 he only used it in his bed. Sometimes during the day he would sneak off to use it.
    Maybe that would work for you...

Wink Re: oh no-weaned to the pacifier!

Well I am glad I am not the only one! My 2 year old is not weaned, but we are in the midst of gradual weaning and he wants his "bubiya" (as he calls it) more than ever. I get a little embarassed when he is out in public with it (it just looks funny seeing a big kid walk around with one) but I know that he needs it to wean from the boob. And I agree - it is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Also, one of my theories on extended bfing could also apply - if they are not too old to still be in diapers, then the are not too old to nurse (or use a paci).

The SAME thing happened when Ian weaned himself during my last pregnancy!! I was horrified! I was afraid I would have a kindergartener using a binky

I let him keep it for a couple months, since there was an apparent need for him at that time, and limited its use as much as I could to bedtime and the car. Then I started trimming the end, so it wasn't so satisfying to suck on. He gave it up about three weeks after I started trimming them; I cut a little off each week, and I checked the binkies daily for signs that they were coming apart (any that looked questionable got tossed, for fear a bit of silicone would come off in his mouth). He actually threw it away himself! Maybe something like that would help you. . . . Good luck, and it's a stage, like everything else
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I babysit kids who have attachment objects. It has made me glad my child is only attached to my chest because I've never left my breasts at the library! So I have a rule that they don't bring their "objects" with them when we are out having fun... my 2yo dd isn't allowed to nurse on the playground or at the library and she's fine, and the other girls do fine without their things too. One idea is to keep limiting where your child can have it until he can only have it once a day. But DON'T make any comments to him about it, especially while he's using it. Like nail biting or nose picking, I imagine the bigger a deal you make of it, the deeper you will drive the obsession. If you don't fuss about it much, it won't be a big deal to him either and he'll back off of it as his need to suck subsides.
    I once read that a good way to get a baby to take a paci (mine wouldn't) is to put it in her mouth and when she starts to suck, gently pull it away. The baby will suck harder and eventually learn to like a paci... keep that in mind so you don't end up making him more attached to it.