Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latch problems! HELP!

Unhappy Latch problems! HELP!

My dd is 8 weeks old. we are starting to switch to cradle hold for bf'ing because she is getting too big to comfortably feed her in the clutch/football hold. Sometimes she does great in cradle hold, other times its a nightmare. She isnt consistent with her latching, sometimes making my nipple come out pinched looking and painful. I can't seem to get her to take in much more than the nipple, or open her mouth for long enough. I'm just so frustrated! My nipple feels like she's trying to rip it off, it hurts soooooo badly. To top it off my nipple is healing from a milk blister and when she is in cradle position her tongue constantly grazes against the raw spot making nursing a very uncomfortable and unenjoyable experience.
    Any tips on how to get a good latch? Where should her head/nose/mouth be in relation to the nipple in cradle hold for a good latch? I'm just so frustrated and want to be able to nurse my dd PAIN FREE!

Default Re: Latch problems! HELP!

You know I still can't nurse too comfortably in a cradle hold and my dd is 12wks. Have you tried a cross cradle hold? That is mainly what I use. I think my breast are too big for a cradle hold, she is like lying in my lap when I use that hold. LOL When you nurse you LO in a cradle hold try and make sure her tummy and butt are pulled into you. Also when latching I try and bring baby to me very quickly for a nice deep latch. Hang in there!

Check out the videos on this site, which will show you how to make sure the baby opens wide and you quickly move them to your breast.

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

Also I've read that if you position your nipple at baby's top lip and tickle it a bit until she opens wide, then quickly push her into your breast she'll have a better latch and not hurt your nipple. Good luck and keep posting question. The women on this site are fabulous.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

For me, corss cradle hold seemed easier than cradel hold, i use a pillow for that, do that it might help u as well. Try the sandwich Technique, search for some vidoes showin how to do it, it helped me with my 7 week bb.

Dont get frustrated, it all takes some time and some patiance...dont worry.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

I saw the Newman website and watched a few videos. Maybe part of my problem is my breasts are rather small (not at all like the ones in the video, ). I'm going to keep practicing, she seems to be improving, though VERY slowly. I've tried cross cradle hold but can't seem to get it right. It feels very strange to me to hold my right breast in my right hand and hold her with my non-dominant left hand. She nurses GREAT in cradle hold on my left breast, but she has been nursing that way since day one. For some reason she only would nurse in football hold on my right breast since she was born. Does that mean that she will never nurse on my right breast correctly in cradle hold? Unfortunately my right breast produces a ton of milk but my left breast never did, and she would only nurse on the left for 5, maybe 10 minutes if I was lucky. *sigh* I'm going to stick with it, I appreciate all the encouragement!

Good decision! You know, my son would only feed in the football position on my left side for the first 6 weeks. He probably still would be happily in this position except I was determined to get him into the cradle position as he too was getting too big. It take practice, but you'll get it. Just keep trying. At the moment, I'm trying to master the side lying position as recommended by any Mother who likes their sleep. All I can say is, practice, practice, practice.

As for the latch issues, are you using a nursing pillow to help you position your LO? I found this to help enormously. Additionally, have you tried waiting until your LO cries, and then shoving your breast as far back into your LO's mouth as you can - and then using your finger to flange the lips out, and if necessary, using your finger to pull down the chin? It sounds complicated, but if you practice (again), you'll get it before long.

HTH

You might try putting your lo's head at different spots on your forearm until you find a spot that works. Feeding on my right side was awkward at first, too, but now I don't notice the difference. (It probably took 3-4 months until it was completely comfortable, but it gradually got better during that time.)

Hooray (for now)! Tonight I knew she was getting hungry so I took her upstairs (where it is quiet, since we have family staying here through the holidays) and we tried the cradle position on the right side. She latched perfectly the first time and stayed that way for 20 whole minutes!! She was satisfied and my nipples definately hurt a lot less! Hoooooray! (But we will see if this keeps up). What I did differently is I nursed her first on the left brest in cradle position (which she is a pro at) and watched the way her body was. When I switched her to the right I tried to mimic the way her body went and it worked well. I hope we can continue this! Thank you for all the tips, Ladies!

Excellent! Good to hear the good news
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

The nipple pain will eventually go away....just when you think you can't take it another second, it'll get a little worse, then it'll get better. At least that's how it was for me. Hang in there. Even if you're doing everything perfectly, your nipples still have to adjust - simply put, they have probably never been sucked on this much in your life!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.