Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long to pump?

Question how long to pump?

This is my second day back at work, my son is 6.5 weeks old. I am pumping twice a day at work, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I use an Ameda Purely Yours. At this mornings pumping session, my right breast filled the 4 oz bottle and would have overflowed it if I hadn't stopped pumping. Meanwhile, the left breast pumped about 3 oz. I didn't want to stop pumping while the milk was still flowing, but had no choice because I didn't have any other bottles. I don't know if this will keep happening, but should I keep pumping until the milk stops? How many minutes will this normally take? I pumped this morning for 10 minutes. I am so afraid of my milk supply dwindling down to nothing!

Default Re: how long to pump?

I always pump for about a miunute or two after I notice no more milk coming out... this usually takes about 15 minutes for me. (I use the Medela Pump in Style).
    Check out these links for more info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpfreq.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

You can use any size, any brand standard mouth bottles on the Purely Yours breast flange (horn). Just screw it on and fill 'er up! The more the better. Keep pumping until past when milk comes out, if you are a low to medium supply person. If you have a high supply, then you might have to stop earlier or whenever your break is over

Some people get a second let down after the first one. Mine is at around 20 minutes, I pump for 30 minutes but then I'm battling a low supply

In my afternoon session I had 3 oz from left breast and 3.5 from right and pumped for about 10 minutes before the milk stopped. I guess it will all even out in the end! At least that is what I hope.

I pump 3x/day. I get a little less with each session. I always get more from my right breast. Occasionally on my first morning pump I will fill up a 5oz bottle and unscrew it and switch an empty bottle there for another ounce or two. I usually have to pump almost 30 min. before milk is no longer coming out on my right side (my left empties quicker since it never has as much). You'll just have to see what works for you.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

I had the same problem with overflow when ds was 4-7 months old. I would regularly pump 10-12 ounces during my first pump session. I bought a couple of cheap 8 ounce gerber bottles (which fit on both the PIS and Purely Yours pumps), and was able to pump away with out worrying about the bottles overflowing or having to change the bottles, which can be messy.
    Last edited by minkerpinker; March 8th, 2006 at 10:47 AM.