Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple sucking

Default Nipple sucking

I am a 3 week old mom and am having nipple problems. The baby has been latching correctly, but opening a little less wider the last week. He has been playing around with my nipple which is getting very aggrevating because he is just sucking on it and pulling away and taking it out of his mouth with a great suction. He is 'chewing' on my nipple also.
    I try to hold his head so that he does not pull the nipple but that seems like a harsh way of dealing with it..
    What can I do to make him stop?

Default Re: Nipple sucking

Is he choking at all when he is nursing? When he pulls off the nipple is your milk spraying? These can be signs of overactive let down (OALD) which can be managed pretty easily. Let us know if these things are happening and we can give you some tips.

There are 2 types of pullıng that he does. One is the one where he is doing a spagetti sucking thing, he doesn't let go but when he does where he my nipple comes out flat!! the second one defınetly he sounds like choking and lets go with a huge smack...

Quote Originally Posted by OrhansMom View Post
    There are 2 types of pullıng that he does. One is the one where he is doing a spagetti sucking thing, he doesn't let go but when he does where he my nipple comes out flat!! the second one defınetly he sounds like choking and lets go with a huge smack...
    My nipple came out flat when I first started breastfeeding to. I believe it was because my nipples were adjusting to the new activity. My son also played with my nipple, jerking his head back and chewing and what not. It's new for you so you'll be sore and things may not feel right and it's new for him so he's testing it out. After 5 weeks of breastfeeding things began to feel normal for me and my son was more focused when he fed.

Check out this info about OALD. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html When a baby is getting milk too fast they will do all kinds of things to try to control the flow including clamping down or pulling off. It is usually pretty effective to take your baby off after your initial letdown and let your milk spray into a burp cloth. After it has slowed down you can put your baby back to the breast and continue nursing.