Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trying to nurse my dd 2 weeks old

Default trying to nurse my dd 2 weeks old

I have a few questions maybe someone has advice for me.
    i know that your not suppose to here a clicking sound when they're latched on, but I do. I try to take her off , but I still hear it. I'm reluctant to take her off because when I hear the clicking noise that's when she is sucking most vigurously and I hear a lot of swallowing so I know she is getting milk.

Also I can not tell if my daugther has emptied a breast or not. They feel lighter but I don't know if they are empty. sometimes she sucks for over 20 minutes on each side and still acts like she wants more. I take her off after a half hour or so and i'll notice milk coming out so I'll feel bad like I cut her off. Some friends told me 10 min first side as long as they want on second side(if I did as long as she wants I think she would be permantly attached to me all day) Others have said 15 min on each side.

Also I have to wake her all morning to eat every three hours, but in the evening and especially between 2 and 6 am she seems to want to eat every hour.

Any sugguestions would be appreciated. I just wish I could be more secure about what I was doing with her

Default Re: trying to nurse my dd 2 weeks old

Congratulations on your new baby! I know it is all very new and you feel uncertain, but it sounds to me like everything is going quite well with your nursing relationship.

The clicking sound is probably your daughter's way of keeping up with the fast flow of your milk. If it isn't causing you any pain, then it really isn't a problem that needs fixing. A good latch is one that doesn't hurt mom and lets baby get milk in her tummy, so if it's working, don't stress about trying to change it. My son "clicked" like that when he was a newborn, and it disappeared after a couple months or so.

Your breasts should feel softer or lighter after a feeding -- again, this is just a good sign that your baby is successfully transferring milk from the breast to her tummy. Your breast is constantly making milk as she nurses, so it will never get completely empty, and that is just fine.

I remember being very confused about the timing issue also, when my son was a newborn. It did seem like he would nurse forever and ever without ever being done!

Don't limit her time at either breast -- you want her to nurse freely and decide for herself when she is done. She'll either come off the breast contented, or she'll doze off and suck just occasionally, not really swallowing anymore. If she gets to that point after a period of good nursing (with the rhythmic suck-swallow-breathe pattern that means she's drinking a lot), then after a few minutes of inactivity at the breast, it's okay for you to unlatch her. That might be a good time to change her diaper or otherwise wake her up a little, then offer the second breast -- but don't worry if she doesn't do much with the second breast.

It's good that you've been waking her to eat at least every 3 hours -- it's a good way to ensure that your milk supply will be sufficient, and to make sure that she is getting enough milk. Her "cluster feeding" during certain times of day is perfectly normal -- good for you for nursing on cue like this.

Once she has regained her birth weight and your nursing relationship is going well, then I think it's okay to stop waking her to eat. Do keep track to make sure she is nursing at least 8 times in every 24-hour period ... but if all is going well and she is growing, then let her sleep, especially at night!

Let us know if you have any more questions or concerns! Sometimes all we need is reassurance that things are okay.

--Rebecca

It sounds like you are really on the right track! Good for you and for your baby! You are doing the best thing by following your DD's cues and feeding her as she needs and also waking her every 2-3 hours to feed. That is key especially in the early weeks to get her gaining weight appropriately. The "15 minutes on each side" is - according to the lactation group I worked with for months with my DS - the 'old school' way of thinking and what you are doing now, with letting her spend more time the first side first is really better. It gets the ratio of 'fore milk' (the first milk that comes out) and 'hind milk' (the later, richer milk) to a better balance and provides excellent nutritional benefits. One of the mantras at the breastfeeding classes I attended was "finish the first breast first" - so you are doing just that.
    Now... keep in mind.... take care of you! Keep eating well and stay hydrated...and whenver you can, grab a nap!
    Congratulations and all good wishes to you and your new family!
    jsmom

Smile Re: trying to nurse my dd 2 weeks old

It sounds like you are doing fine. It's hard enough being a new mommy and learning to take care of a new baby while still being sore and not getting enough sleep. Add bf to the mix and it's overwhelming. Rest assured that it will get easier.

My dd also did the clicking sound when she was younger. The lc tried to pull down her bottom lip to correct it, but dd would pull off at that. We just decided to leave her alone since she seemed to be getting plenty of milk and it didn't hurt me. She outgrew it after a few weeks.

I also wanted to say that the cluster feeding is as the pp said, normal. It is also common for newborns to have their days and nights mixed up. At night, keep the lights dim and keep it quiet. Don't engage her more than necessary. If she falls asleep, don't necessarily burp her unless you feel she needs it. Alternatively, during the day, keep the room bright, make lots of noise, talk to her, sing to her, engage her as much as possible. Eventually she'll learn the difference and start sleeping more at night.

Good luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Thanks for all the encouragement.
    I have a 4 year old son as well who I did not bf(well I tried for aprox 2 weeks, but was crying all the time and didn't think I could do it.) I really want it to work this time.(I'm still crying all the time, due to lack of sleep.)

How long will she be doing this cluster feeding, does she out grow it?

Also another silly question, I read you should wear a supportive bra when your milk comes in even at night. Is this recomended indefinately while nursing or can I go without the bra at night? Does it really matter?

Thanks again
    Maria

Hi there! You are doing a great job with your dd. Yes that cluster feeding is tough stuff, it may help if you get dinner ready early in the day and let ds watch a movie that time of the day so that you can just sit around and nurse her! I do not know anything about "having" to wear a certain type of bra? If you do not mind leaking you don't even have to wear one during the day or at night. Sometimes I would just go around the house with a burp cloth up my shirt so that I could be "free" for a while. You can also try to nurse dd in a sling that time of the day. Keep the sling loose while you get her latched on and then tighten it up so that it supports her head and off you go! Best of luck!

Hi Maria,
    Regarding the supportive bra question... the info I've gotten and what I've personally experienced is that it's just as important to have something not TOO tight/restrictive as it is to stay supported. If you can function w/out wearing something with an underwire, definitely forgo the underwire! The less pressure you have on any areas around your breasts, the better you will fare in terms of plugged ducts and restricted flow. This part of choosing the 'right' bra IS really important and does matter. As for nighttime...that's a personal choice. As pp Brittan has written, you can go braless if you are OK with leaking - which you might just do. Personally, I find wearing something REALLY lightly supportive at night has been the best situation for me. Even at 11+ months into all this, I still leak from the side DS isn't nursing from when I have a letdown (really strong ejection reflex), so I like to have a light bra on to hold some kind of cloth or pad, even at night! (oh, I'm so looking forward to some braless time one of these days!). I've read various opinions about whether going braless when you are pregnant and/or nursing causes more sagging, but there are no conclusive bottom lines on that, I don't think?

As for you crying all the time.....yes, sleep deprivation and exhaustion does bring that on. As long as you are feeling safe and not like you are leaning towards post partum depression, then just try to hang in there and do what you can to grab that 30 minute nap here and there. I know; much easier said than done! If you have any inklings at all that your blues are more serious than this, though, please talk with your OB or even your kids' pediatrician about finding some support for post partum depression in your area. It's very common - and there is good help out there... take care of yourself... you are doing a great job!! Good luck.
    Jsmom

The sleep deprivation and baby blues can be brutal; I hope you are coping all right despite it. Her evening cluster feeding may continue for quite a while, but her other feedings should soon become spaced a little further apart, especially as she learns that nighttime is for sleeping.

With my son, it took us a few weeks, but once we figured out how to nurse lying down, my life was transformed. I could sleep all night, with very brief half-wakenings to latch him on or change breasts. I even figured out how to burp him against my hip so I didn't have to sit up for that. If you are not able to nap with the baby during the day because of the need to care for your 4yo, then I strongly encourage you to consider co-sleeping so you can get some rest during her nighttime feedings.

About the bra at night -- as a pp said, I think the bra at night functions primarily as a nursing-pad holder. If you are more comfortable going bra-less but tend to leak a lot, you can put a waterproof crib sheet under your top half and a towel under that. I know I hated wearing a bra 24/7 and was more comfortable sleeping without one, even with huge lactating breasts.

Hang in there. I bet with a little more sleep, you'll feel much better. But if the constant crying persists, or if you start to feel either unusually anxious about the baby, or unusually detached from the baby, call your doctor. Do you have any adult help around these days? (Hopefully yes) Let that person know what you need right now -- it's about survival, not being superwoman, KWIM? Let us know how you're doing.

--Rebecca

It sounds just like what I went through!! Don't worry, it gets easier. My daughter would nurse atleast 45 minutes EVERY time she would nurse. We called her a gourmet baby - savoring every bit!!

It was a challenge, but she started to speed up and the comment about nursing at night while laying down is right on.

I just found this web site and it is awesome for support.
    Kristy

thanks again

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one or doing something wrong. I tried the co-sleeping thing last night. Dh was a little nervous and decided to sleep in the spare bedroom. Things went better when she woke I just fed her while lying down, I ended up falling asleep both times so have no idea how long she nursed for. It made a difference today I didn't feel like I was going to fall over from exhaustion. I'd rather have her sleeping in her own bed, but as long as she wants to nurse so often at night i'll probably keep her in mine.