Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long to dump after taking aspirin?

Default how long to dump after taking aspirin?

I had a fever on Sunday, and took 1 81mg aspirin before I realized I should check if it was safe first.

Then I read aspirin is a big problem, so I've dumped everything I pumped since taking it (and have not offered the breast since...DD is drinking EBM supply from earlier).

How long should I dump the pumped EBM, when is it safe?

Thanks,
    Leslie

Default Re: how long to dump after taking aspirin?

what did you read?
    if your worried you should call a lll leader they can look it up for you in hales book.

but I think that asprin is ok.

Hi, Leslie!

Stop pumping and dumping. The aspirin was out of your system by now. I'm not sure it was neccessary to pump and dump to begin with, but your concern is certainly understandable! If a situation like this should arise again, my best suggestion is to contact your local LLL Leader, call your IBCLC, or even look up the medication on Hale's forums found here:
    http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/html...ns_forums.html

Dr. Thomas Hale (author of Medications and Mothers' Milk) reports that extremely small amounts of aspirin are secreted into breastmilk. Aspirin is listed as Lactation Risk Category 3 (safer) in the 2002 edition of his book. If you would like the full quote from this resource, feel free to PM me.

The following web resource (NOT LLL resource) might be helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html

Thanks for the links. I was concerned since I read on safefetus.com (and the kellymom site) after I took the aspirin, that it wasn't approved and could cause DD Reye's syndrome.

That's why I initially dumped. I just wasn't sure how long it took to get out of my system, and when I could try the breast (or EBM) again.

I had called LC this am, and she thought it was out by now (again, I took 1 tablet that was 81mg at 4am yesterday).

Info is much appreciated and helpful!

Leslie

Default also forgot to clarify...

that what I pumped while I had the fever was still good, also. My understanding is that my antibodies while sick will only help DD.

I *hate* to dump anymore than is really needed.

Thanks again,

Leslie

Default Re: also forgot to clarify...

Leslie,
    According to Medications & Mother's Milk, aspirin is a lactation risk category L3 (moderately safe). Hale says "extremely small amounts secreted into breastmilk. Few harmful effects have been reported....Extremely high doses in mother could potentially produce slight bleeding in infant. Becase aspirin is implicated in Reye's Syndrome in febrile-viral illnesses, it is a poor choice of analgesic to use in breastfeeding mothers. However, in rheumatic fever patients, it is still the anti-inflammatory drug of choice and a risk-vs-benefit assessment must be done in this case. See ibuprofen or acetaminophen as a better choice."

He also says the half-life of aspirin is 2.5-7 hours and that there are no pediatric concerns reported via milk, but aspirin use in pediatric patients may increase risk of Reye's syndrome in viral infections.

HTH more. And yes, the very best thing you can do when you or baby is sick with a typical virus (flu, cold) is to nurse, nurse, nurse!

Default can you hear my sigh of relief?!!!?

this is exactly the kind of concrete info I've been researching all day!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I guess since I'm a new Mommy I just want to do everything right, and I don't want to cause any harm to DD in any way - I really feel I screwed up with not realizing I should have checked into the aspirin issue first.

Thanks again!

Leslie

You never can be too safe!