Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting on juice/water??

Default Starting on juice/water??

Has anyone got any tips on helping turn my 8-month-old dd on to juice and water? I have even tried diluting the juice and have tried both the bottle and sippy cup. She has already had one bout with constipation which cleared in a few days with a whole bunch of prunes but I know extra fluids can help too. Thanks!

Default Re: Starting on juice/water??

Maybe try from a regular cup rather than a sippy cup? My son doesn't use a sippy cup but loves water from other sources -- a shot glass, a small enamel-ware metal cup with a handle, sips out of my "big" glass, a regular water bottle. At 12 months he's just starting to hold the cup on his own a little, although he does still spill it (sometimes for curiosity). But he has gotten good at swallowing sips and often grabs for my glass when I'm drinking. I did water only in the beginning and have only recently started with diluted apple juice, maybe once a day. Good luck!

Annie

DJ figured out how to drink out of a straw and we've been feeding him water w/dinner out of a cup with a straw ever since! Before that we did water out of a sippy but we never tried to make him do it himself. We just put it to his mouth and tipped up. I would wait on the juice. If you can get them to drink water. If you just feed them water they drink more water when they're older. Use whole fruit if your worried about constipation.They get juice out of fruit plus they get the fiber and it's not so concentrated. Pears are great for this but apple works too! Good luck!
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; December 23rd, 2006 at 02:44 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

Is 8 months generally when starting other liquids is suggested? I was going to ask about this. I'll be starting my son on experimental solids in the next few weeks, but wasn't sure when to start giving him water in addition to breastmilk.

Quote Originally Posted by blanders76 View Post
    Is 8 months generally when starting other liquids is suggested? I was going to ask about this. I'll be starting my son on experimental solids in the next few weeks, but wasn't sure when to start giving him water in addition to breastmilk.
    After the six month point.

Way too lazy for formula