Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 Days and Still No Milk

Default 12 Days and Still No Milk

I had my baby 12 days ago and my milk supply still hasnt come in. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting my milk in or how long it may still take before I should give up on getting it in?

Default Re: 12 Days and Still No Milk

I'd get in touch with a local LLL leader or IBCLC about this one. Are you just offering the breast or supplementing? How is baby doing?

Yes, I would definitely be in touch with your local LLL or IBCLC (as the pp stated). Please keep us updated!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Welcome to the board, Wonderbug, and congrats on your new arrival!

I have a few questions for you:
    *Have you been in touch with your local LLL Leader and/or IBCLC?
    *Is your baby currently nursing? Can you hear swallowing?
    *Has your baby been seen for a weight check?
    *Are you currently supplementing?
    *How many wet and poopie diapers does your baby have in 24 hours?
    *Would you please tell us a little about your birth experience?
    *Have you had any breast injuries? Breast surgery?
    *Do you have any hormonal imbalances that you're aware of?

The answers to these questions can help us figure out what the issue is, and help us gather some information that might be helpful to you. If you haven't already done so, please contact someone locally. Please also refer to this page: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html It's important to make sure that your baby is getting enough to eat. If your baby is not meeting minimum output requirements, please do talk to your baby's doctor about supplementing until your milk production level is increased to your baby's needs. Remember: Rule #1 (always!) is FEED THE BABY.

Best of luck to you! Please keep us updated.

Just posting to say that you can click the link in my signature to find a local LLL Leader

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I have contacted and have been seen by the hospital lactation consultants a few times, but this is the first time I have contacted LLL. My baby doesnt really nurse anymore. He did at the hospital, but since my milk hasnt come in he doesnt want to nurse. He is totally on formula at this point. I pump after he eats to stimulate and am on Reglan and some herbal supplements.

My birth experience was horrible. I was induced 3 weeks early due to toxemia (my bp was extremely high and I had really bad swelling). I labored for over 24 hours (and two epidurals later, the first one only blocked the right side of my body) before they figured out he was OP (face up) and he got stuck and wouldn't turn to come out. I pushed for over 2 hours. I was then taken in for a C-Section. I am currently fighting an infection in the incision.

I have never had any breast surgery or injuries and I do not have any hormonal imbalances that I know of.

Today makes it day 14 and I only get about 2 ml of milk when I pump (15 minutes with a Medela Lactina Electric)

I am extremely upset about the whole situation and really want to breastfeed my son. I dont know if continuing what I am doing will eventually lead to being able to breastfeed or if I should give up. My husband has been very supportive and I know it is hard for him to see me cry and get upset about it. I dont want to drag it on if it will not happen.

Thanks for any suggestions/help/support.

I don't have any medical or professional advice...but I can say that you are doing a GREAT job so far. You are getting something. I bet if you keep on going, you might be able to get things going. I would try to exhaust every single option before you throw in the towel. Then you will know that you gave it your all.

Hang in there and know that someone in Texas is sending you

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Bring that baby to the breast as much as you can! I know you say he doesn't want it, the bottle is much easier... but try. Try when he's had a little to eat and isn't starving. It will make him less frustrated.

The baby will stimulate your breasts a million times better than a pump. I barely get anything when I pump, either, but my baby gets plenty from me.

I wish you the best of luck!!! I hope that you can find a LC or LLL leader near you that can show you in person the best way to get him to latch. It IS possible, it's just hard. I know you've got to be hormonal and hurting right now... just hang in there. It WILL get SO much better
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Hi! Clearly you've had quite a rough ride so far, but it sounds like you are doing everything right. You have a good pump, you have the right herbs and drugs, and, most importantly, you have the right mindset. I think that if you want to succeed, you really have a great chance!

If I can offer any advice, it is this: pump, pump, pump, and nurse, nurse, nurse! Try to get as much stimulation as possible. You might really consider a supplemental nursing system (SNS) so that your son gets used to receiving all his nutrition at the breast, remembers (or re-learns) how to latch, and gives you the stimulation you need in the process. (A SNS can be described as a bag of formula or milk that you hang around your neck. A tube runs from the bag, and you hold it next to your nipple. When the baby latches onto the breast, he also gets the tube, and sucks food out of it.)

You might also try this trick: make bottle-feeding as much like breastfeeding as possible. Take off your shirt, cuddle your son close, and make him root around and open wide before you pop the bottle nipple into his mouth. That way he thinks of eating as something that he does at the breast, something warm and wonderful. Also, he gets trained out of the lazy latch habits that bottlefed babies develop, because it is so easy to get milk out of a bottle.

You really are doing everything right. Please don't be hard on yourself because your dream breastfeeding relationship didn't magically materialize. You're really not the only one- you only have to look at these boards to see that. Good luck!!!

Wonderbug
    Can you tell me more about your birth experience? Did you experience any severe bleeding or high-volume blood loss?

Also, have you been checked for retained placental fragments?

Jen
    Last edited by LLL LactoJen; December 24th, 2006 at 11:17 PM.
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!