Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One side over the other??

Question One side over the other??

How easy is it to feed from just one side all of the time? I mean, only use the same breast for each feeding. DD has always preferred my right side. With everything we are going through (block feeding, possible allergies, and antibiotics) it just seems like it would be easier to not struggle to get her to eat from my left side. This morning, there was milk dripping and waiting for her (so I know it wasn't from emptiness or slow flow) and she cried and pulled away over and over. I put her on my right side which was much fuller (so I know it wasn't from forceful letdown) and she went to town. I even tasted the milk on the left side because she so often acts like it is awful and refuses but is happy as a clam on the right side.

Is it possible to use just one side? Do I risk ruining my supply? Will one breast be able to keep up?

Any advice?? Thanks!

Default Re: One side over the other??

This is exactly what my daughter is doing! She'll be 4 months old on Saturday and she has always shown a preference for my left breast, but at least always nursed from the right breast, just not as long.

Lately though her time on the left gets shorter and shorter and the last few days she is down to about 1 minute (maybe 2 sometimes) on that side or refuses it entirely. She'll pull away and fuss. There's plenty of milk there for her so it's not that, and I've often wondered if it tasted different too! She just doesn't like to nurse on that side, but on my left side, she acts as thought she is in heaven. She sighs, snuggles in, eats until she's full, pulls off and smiles at me.

I've heard stories of women who can't nurse on one side and the other side compensates for it and it works just fine. So, I guess we shouldn't worry about it. (?) I also would like to hear feedback on this one.

Tracy

Many mothers have found that their nurslings prefer one side over the other. What is funny is that sometimes they "switch" and several months later, the other side is their preferred.

Some find what helps is to get them to nurse the other side when they are sleepy, so that they don't really notice which side they were on, if you can. As long as you are not getting plugged ducts or mastitis on the less frequented side, it will likely regulate.

My DD has always preferred the right side over the left and I've had several clogged ducts and mastitis twice on the left. I am now very careful to nurse her on the left even if she doesn't seem to want to. Part of our problem is that when I sit in my "spot" on the couch I'm on the right end, which is nearest the corner. So, when she nurses on the right all she sees is the wall but when she nurses on the left she can tilt her head back and see the whole living room. She pulls off all the time because her big sis, our 2 dogs, and DH are much more interesting than nursing. Now that I've realized that location has played a bit part in our breastfeeding issues I've started retreating to the bedroom more often to nurse her and she eats much better in a quieter place. She still prefers the right side but I don't want to have any more issues.

Beth
    Mom to Sophie (3) and Bella (5 mos)