Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Human Paci/too Much Bm Intake?

Default Human Paci/too Much Bm Intake?

The Only Way My Ds Will Fall Asleep Is To Be Nursed. Usually By 6 Pm He Is Sleeping. Tonight I Could Not Get Him Down Til 9pm And He Wanted To Nurse From 4pm On-nonstop. Plus He Prefers One Side And Fusses At The Other. Needless To Say I Was About To Jump Out Of My Skin. My Right Side Is Still Sore. It Seems During These Extended Sessions The Let Down Does Not Happen And It Gets Uncomfortable-like There Is No Bm. Is This Normal For Ds To Need The Breast To Sleep. I Tried To Avoid The Pacifier At The Beg But Times Like Tonight I Wish He Would Like One. Ds Will Not Take A Pacifier-he's 11 Weeks Now.
    Ds Also Eats And Eats Until He Is Basically Overflowing With Bm- Coming Out Of His Nose At Times. I Am Wondering If Maybe I Am Misreading His Hunger Signs And Nursing Him When Thats Really Not What He Wants. Anyone Have Any Similar Situations?

Default Re: Human Paci/too Much Bm Intake?

Have you tried a bottle of bm? That way you can see if he is actually eating/ hungry when this occurs.

I feel like a human paci too! My DS is 10 1/2 weeks old and will only go down to sleep if I lay down and nurse him. Then if I try to get up to get anything done, he wakes up and cries for the boob so I find myself in the position of having to lay down with him all night (usually 8pm to 7am) and for his naps (2 naps a day usually 2 to 3 hours each). We have tried getting him to sleep other ways and so far nothing works. I don't mind being a human paci as long as I know there is an end in sight at some point. I used to be greatful that I could get so much rest b/c he forces me to lay down with him but now I am getting nothing done and in addition laying in one position all night is very uncomfortable. I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and will it get better? Thanks!

Sounds to me like a 3 months growth spurt! What you are describing sound like Cluster Feeding. Just ride it out. He's busy telling your body you need to UP your production AGAIN because he is just growing and growing! "On Demand" means just that. Let him decide when and how much. If your are feeling touched out, at this age while I also did NOT want to give my son a paci, I would allow him to suck on my finger. That worked well for us right until about 4&1/2 months. At which point he started refusing my finger. But he would definitely suck it to go to sleep at 11weeks! I'm sooo glad he doesn't have a paci in his mouth now. He's one and he can walk. Give the finger a shot! Good Luck!
    Oh! and I have always nursed my son down for all his naps and to sleep every night. He's one. I am not sorry. They grow so fast. I wouldn't give back one minute of being a human pacifier this 1st year. Now, as he runs around all day, naptime and bedtime are very near the only times he will nurse. Cherish every second that your new babies want to be close to you. You will blink your eyes and this time will be gone.
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; December 21st, 2006 at 02:07 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement DJ's mom. I tried to tell myself that it is a growth spurt at 2pm because he was still awake! He then slept for less than 2 hrs and has been up since. I hope this period of wakefulness ends soon because he really needs some sleep. I've tried the finger before but didnt like it-will try again though! I wonder if growth spurts occur with periods of wakefulness. Its like he is on espresso or something!

How many hours straight has he been up? It says 2pm in your post, but I'm assuming you mean 2 am...that's really rough when you have a night waker.

One thing that you could think about, is your own caffeine consumption. Usually experts say a couple of caffeineated beverages are just fine during pregnancy and while breastfeeding, but with my baby, I found that I couldn't have any. He really just wasn't himself when I drank anything with caffeine in it. It really upset him even though I had a couple of caffeinated beverages a day while I was pregnant. I thought that I wouldn't be able to make it without the caffeine with a 3 yr old and a newborn, but I ended up feeling better after I got used to it.

Another thing that may help you when your baby decides to be really wakeful at night, is to encourage him that nighttime is for sleeping by not turning on lights...we used just nightlights. When baby would wake in the middle of the night, it was usually either myself or DH...usually not both, and I honestly refused to play...I'd comfort baby, and hug and cuddle, but not talk alot, and not play...both boys learned quite quickly that nighttime was for sleeping(which is what I'd tell them), and that it was a pretty boring time to be awake. If baby was particularly awake, I'd put baby in the swing next to our couch and turn it on and I'd nap in the recliner/couch. I think sometimes, the lack of sleep made the nighttime waking worse on me than on the baby.

Thankfully, everything improves the older baby gets... I'm bet your LO is going to grow inches at a time during this growth spurt.

Good Luck!

Smile Re: Human Paci/too Much Bm Intake?

I agree with the PP - it is likely a growth spurt. My LO does the same thing from time to time! She will also do it the entire afternoon and night after I take her to the Pedi. She hates being weighed on the scale and throws a serious fit about it. She has her own ways of expressing her displeasure to the doc and nurse - she pees on the scale and table at least 4 times and will sometimes have a poop too - all while naked!
    At her 2 month apt when she had to get shots she nursed for a full day straight afterwords. My nipples were so sore that I ices one while she nursed the other.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

In response to mommie of 2

Yes, you are right, I meant 2am. I only drink decaf and he is usually fine. Finally, when he was still awake at noon today I put him in the carseat and went for a ride. That cured him immediately. I hate putting him in the cramped car seat but he really needed to sleep. I shopped while he slept. I do keep all lights low at night, min talking and he usually naps or sleeps every 1-2 hrs. He has not done this since being a newborn so must be a growth spurt. He has grown and changed alot lately.

In response to mommie of 2

Yes, you are right, I meant 2am. I only drink decaf and he is usually fine. Finally, when he was still awake at noon today I put him in the carseat and went for a ride. That cured him immediately. I hate putting him in the cramped car seat but he really needed to sleep. I shopped while he slept. I do keep all lights low at night, min talking and he usually naps or sleeps every 1-2 hrs. He has not done this since being a newborn so must be a growth spurt. He has grown and changed alot lately.

When my now 9 mo. old was little...like between 2 mos. and 4 mo.s or so he was really collicky, and sometimes in order to get him to calm down and sleep during the day I'd take him shopping...he'd ride in my ring sling and it really worked for him to get a nap in...a long nap even. I'd also do the car ride thing if I was having a particularly bad day when he was little like yours as I knew he'd fall asleep at some point.

Maybe you could try a sling if your LO keeps awake too long and wears himself out too much by not napping.

It seems like such a viscious cycle sometimes, as it seems that the more tired they are the worse they sleep...but when they're well rested throughout the day, they have a better nights sleep.